Let's see some wood!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen a holt hozen that skinny? Do you think it is drying any better than just a normal stack?

The first holzhaufen that I made was squeezed in between some pretty large boulders. It's more of a rectangle shape than round (about 5.5' by 7' at the base). The original pic I posted, is showing the narrow side of the HH. Since the space was limited, I figured that an HH would allow me to go taller than just stacking it. It was about 7.5 ' tall when I finished the HH in early May. It's seasoned quite a bit in that time and is under 7' tall now. I've attached another shot of my 2 HH below. You'll see how the large rocks limited the space I had for the first HH.

The second HH, still in progress, is on an octagonal base that is appx 8' in diameter. I'll probably stack this one a bit higher. I don't expect to burn much of the wood from that HH this coming season (unless I run out late in the season).

This is my first year processing this much wood. So I don't have any personal experience re. whether an HH seasons better than a normal stack. Both my stack and HH appear to be drying out nicely. I must say that building the holzhaufen is much more fun and the boss (my wife) prefers the look of the HH. She calls them big pine cones.

Rich

Attachments

• 2Holz2.jpg
    2Holz2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1,438
I dont have the wood furnace yet but here is my wood for this winter. 3 rows each post is at 8' and about 18" lenth. about 4-4.5' high

Attachments

• woodstacks.jpg
    woodstacks.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,249
110' long by 25'deep by 5' high.

Attachments

• DSC00069.jpg
    DSC00069.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,271
  • DSC00058.jpg
    DSC00058.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,239
^NICE! so that's what you use to load the dump truck...I like the grates that minimize loading stones/sand etc. Any pics of your splitting operation in progress? Thanks.

DKerley said:

I just bought a 3 yd grapple like that for my loader from Blue Diamond attachments. It works awesome for loading wood. You don't get dirt and rocks in with the wood.

My two little wood houses...

Attachments

• wood_pile.jpg
    wood_pile.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,177
DKerley said:

Wish I lived behind that fence. :lol:

that could beat eric thats about a 100 cords^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pictured is about 4.5 cord (conservatively) . I have a total of 5 (there's more on the other side of the shed). The stacks are made on pressure treated 2x4's with metal fence posts on each end. The stacks are held together with copper telecom wire in the center and toward the tops. The tarp is also lashed tautly to the posts with the same copper wire. Old ski poles are added in the center area to deter any pooling water.

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

those are all nice pictures. some day i'll have the same to show. still trying to scrape up enough cash to build a shed, but for now i'll just keep using the tarps. ;-)

Here what i got so far for 2008 20-22 cords

smokinj said:
Here what i got so far for 2008 20-22 cords

White birch in a snowstorm? %-P

Here are my stacks. I built two 8' x 12' platforms out of treated. So at 4' high, I would have 6 cord together. The stacks are more like 5.5' high, so with the wood on the side, I figure I have about 8 cord or so. This will be my first winter burning as a primary source of heat, so I am quite curious to see how much I go through.

Attachments

• Stack1.jpg
    Stack1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,080
  • Stack2.jpg
    Stack2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,071
Only one i could get to post!

Attachments

• firewood5.JPG
    firewood5.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,041
  • firewood 6.JPG
    firewood 6.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,053
  • firewood.jpg
    firewood.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,044
the_dude said:
Here are my stacks. I built two 8' x 12' platforms out of treated. So at 4' high, I would have 6 cord together. The stacks are more like 5.5' high, so with the wood on the side, I figure I have about 8 cord or so. This will be my first winter burning as a primary source of heat, so I am quite curious to see how much I go through.

Welcome to the 24x7 wood burning addiction club dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.