lets see your atv trailers/wood haulers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoke eater

Aug 25, 2010
hudson valley, ny
hi all, i'm in the market for a heavy duty atv trailer that will be strong enough for hauling wood out of the woods. my garden tractor trailer is ok for flat surfaces, but not over a bumpy trail through the woods. if anyone ever heard of Bosski trailers, they're awesome , but cost almost $2000. thats way out of my range right now, so i'm wondering what you guys use.

Dennis (backwoods savage)- i saw a picture of your trailer. i've seen that one somewhere, but can't remember. how do you like it and how much was it? thanks, Rune

Look on CL for at least a 6x10 (between the wheels) single axle trailer. Make sure it has at least 2x flooring, angle iron sides and a ramp.

Attachments

• 6x10 land trailer.jpg
    6x10 land trailer.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,454
thats a nice one, but might be too big for the woods. my trails are atv sized- maybe 4 ft wide?

Then just reduce the size.

Harbor Freight sells a 40" x 48" trailer rated at around 1000 lbs. Quads uses one just like mine to pull behind his ATV. Nice thing about it is that it's street legal if you want to put a plate on it, too.

I had a small boat trailer given to me, so I just made a small bed out of scrap wood and
use it to haul wood up to the house. I have a box that sits on the front to hold tools as
well...

Attachments

• 2006_0716Image0005.jpg
    2006_0716Image0005.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,510
Danno77 said:
Harbor Freight sells a 40" x 48" trailer rated at around 1000 lbs. Quads uses one just like mine to pull behind his ATV. Nice thing about it is that it's street legal if you want to put a plate on it, too.
Yup, here is my Harbor Freight trailer. Bought it a long time ago for $100 and it came with lights, safety chains, etc. which I didn't install. On the way home bought a sheet of plywood from Menard's to build the sides. Can't even begin to count all the loads of wood it's hauled like this. Still going strong. (it's actually outlived two ATVs!)
IMG_7226%20%28800x600%29.jpg

ATV trailer 30" X 60" X 16" sides. Stacked high almost 1/4 cord.
Quads ATV trailer can haul about a cord, he stacks better than I do :)

Wood & multi use trailer: (rated 3500 lb ) 7' wide 10' long & 26" sides I made for it. holds a cord but it gets pretty heavy. I load the front of the trailer heavy & I put some it the PU & get a cord +/- per trip of birch. I have to drive slow, I'm loaded. I usually don' have a long ways to drive.
Spruce, I can get a little over a cord per trip.
If I had it to do over, I'd buy a double axle trailer rated at 6500 lbs.

Attachments

• 100_6703.jpg
    100_6703.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 7,856
  • 100_6550.jpg
    100_6550.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,339
I got a big woodlot!

Attachments

• Messin round 020.jpg
    Messin round 020.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,107
I have this one http://www.swisherinc.com/dump_cart.asp . I bought it at TSC, I think for around $400. I thought the big tires sticking out the sides would be a problem in the woods, but they actually kinda slide off trees if you can't turn wide enough. The wide track and low center of gravity make it very stable. I was always going to put extensions on the sides, but never have. It can handle more firewood than I can fit in it now. One of these days....

I also have this.

Attachments

• trailer cherry.jpg
    trailer cherry.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,044
smoke eater said:
hi all, i'm in the market for a heavy duty atv trailer that will be strong enough for hauling wood out of the woods. my garden tractor trailer is ok for flat surfaces, but not over a bumpy trail through the woods. if anyone ever heard of Bosski trailers, they're awesome , but cost almost $2000. thats way out of my range right now, so i'm wondering what you guys use.

Dennis (backwoods savage)- i saw a picture of your trailer. i've seen that one somewhere, but can't remember. how do you like it and how much was it? thanks, Rune

I use this most of the time, it's called the bush burro. If I'm cutting off the main trail, I'll bring the truck back in then use the rhino with the bush burro to bring it back to the truck.

http://www.rescraft.com/trailers.html

zap

Attachments

• 100_0909.jpg
    100_0909.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,371
  • 100_0910.jpg
    100_0910.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,266
Shadow&Flame; said:
I had a small boat trailer given to me, so I just made a small bed out of scrap wood and
use it to haul wood up to the house. I have a box that sits on the front to hold tools as
well...

I was thinking of doing similar, like yours. I havent found a trailer that I liked yet, and that would work well. Like you I use my garden tractor which has some different requirements compared to a 4 wheeler. For one it 2wd and needs extra weight on the back tires so an axle placed as far rearward on the cart as possible. Most all carts I see are vary close to center for the axle. My terrain is very rugged and includes hauling the full cart up a steep hill and when going up hill the near balanced cart always shifts back and actually unloads the rear axle. Another nice thing about boat trailers, at least the one I have under my 14' footer is it has the same 5x4.5 lug pattern as my cub cadets and I could use an extra set of big ag lug tires on the trailer instead of the narrow pizza cutters that came on it, and I'd have more spares as well.

But I cant find any cheap or free boat trailers. Even the old rusty ones on craigslist with flat tires want at least a couple hundred. Thats too much for me for rusty old parts to hack up. So I am still toying with buying some hub/spindle assemblies, angle iron, and build it from scratch. I am thinking I'd only have a few hundred into it and would be much more robust than the few hundred dollar carts & built better for my usage. Hmmm.

I've got a 6x10 as well but no way that would go into the woods! Heck it weighs about 1400# just empty. Even with a 4x4 four wheeler that'd be kinda scary going up a steep incline loaded up. Probably would work well though if you had a nice road-sized path going into a relatively flat forest. Tounge weight might be a concern though... my 6x10 on my old cub starts bouncing the front tires off the ground when its got much over 1,000# on it. I've got to get some ballast weight out front...

Alot of us have these Ohio Steel poly carts, they are rugged, dump carts with ATV style tires that are reasonably priced and hard to beat.

Attachments

• UltimateATV01.jpg
    UltimateATV01.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,091
oldspark said:
CT, I think that is the one that BW's has and he likes it.

You are right oldspark. And to keep weight forward for lots of weight on the little tractor one could always load only the front so he had only 2 rows rather than 3. One little thing anyone should know if they buy this or something similar is that the sides are not super strong in the rear. I just use the ratchet with 1" webbing to tie it together and all is well. Don't seem to have a problem on the front, only on that back end.

Backwoods Savage said:
oldspark said:

You are right oldspark. And to keep weight forward for lots of weight on the little tractor one could always load only the front so he had only 2 rows rather than 3. One little thing anyone should know if they buy this or something similar is that the sides are not super strong in the rear. I just use the ratchet with 1" webbing to tie it together and all is well. Don't seem to have a problem on the front, only on that back end.

Dennis- have you used your trailer in the woods? if so, how is it going over bumpy terrain? i'm leaning towards that one from cabelas. i could pick it up there and save on some shipping.

thanks to all for your pics and ideas. keep them coming, please.

smoke eater said:
Backwoods Savage said:
oldspark said:

Dennis- have you used your trailer in the woods? if so, how is it going over bumpy terrain? i'm leaning towards that one from cabelas. i could pick it up there and save on some shipping.

thanks to all for your pics and ideas. keep them coming, please.

Splittingpile12-29a.jpg

It works very well in the woods and I like the wide tires in both snow and mud as they are wide enough that they won't sink down and the trailer rolls really easy. I've loaded only 2 large rounds where I tilted the bed to roll the logs up onto the trailer. One other time I took a sideboard off so I did not have to lift so high.

Putting together was not difficult at all. I ordered mine out of the catalog and had it shipped to the store, which saved a few dollars as the store prices are always higher.

Splittingpile12-29a.jpg

It works very well in the woods and I like the wide tires in both snow and mud as they are wide enough that they won't sink down and the trailer rolls really easy. I've loaded only 2 large rounds where I tilted the bed to roll the logs up onto the trailer. One other time I took a sideboard off so I did not have to lift so high.

Putting together was not difficult at all. I ordered mine out of the catalog and had it shipped to the store, which saved a few dollars as the store prices are always higher.[/quote]

Dennis- thanks for your input. nothing like real world opinions on something you want to buy, but have no info. thanks, rune

Backwoods Savage said:

Is this your new stacking technique ;-) you have to teach me this one.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.