Lets see your "Best Friends"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn right. I love any dogs. So happens my wife is not allergic to these ones, but is to most breeds (and they don't shed, or smell, need little exercise).

I laugh hard at them every day. Couldn't love 'em more.

Decided to give a little bump as I assume more are joining back from summer hibernation!

DSC01034.jpg

think he was protecting my wood pile :)

Stevebass4 said:
DSC01034.jpg

think he was protecting my wood pile :)

Well, he looks quite serious to my cat trained eyes !!

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Well, he looks quite serious to my cat trained eyes !!

:) he always is.. he's a great cat

Im picking up this big guy on Sunday from a rescue agency. He's and American Bulldog and Dogo Argentino mix...only 9 months old.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 539
:clap: for saving a dog

My Basenji mut from dog orphens. She came from the south. Not sure why she was an orphen, but we adopted her the minute we saw her. Great dog with anyone. Greets you with a smile and then goes away to sleep until the next guest arrives!

Attachments

• HI300 with slab.JPG
    HI300 with slab.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 669
There are some terrific animals on this thread. And terrific "owners", too.
Rex came from the AWS in 2004 when he was a year and half old and untrained. He's a beast, weighing in at just under 100 lbs..
365992615.jpg

Three kittens were sprung from the AWS "pokey" in 2003 of which two are shown below.
Vera:
365992591.gif

Polly (who is polydactyl, hence the name):
291860400.gif

Oh, okay, you guys are killing me. Here's our new labs- Abby & Cooper. She's the Chocolate, and Cooper is the yellow.
Got her at 6 weeks, 11 lbs., and now she's .....well, I really don't know what she weighs until we get a new scale. She's much bigger now though after being with us for 6 weeks.
Coop was 7.4 lbs. when we picked him up at 6 weeks, and he's still smaller than Abby. He's 3 weeks younger than her.
Keeps us busy right now in the "puppy stupid" stage.
Pic of Coop is the first time we went to see him. I think he was a month old at the time.
They grow so fast, need to get more recent pics.
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_3420.JPG
    IMG_3420.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 623
  • Coop.jpeg
    Coop.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 623
Here's our 7-1/2 lb. 'protector'. A black Pomeranian who was destined to be dumped in the woods at the tender age of 10 weeks (at the beginning of a November, 11 yrs. ago), because original owners were moving out of state and claimed there was no humane society in their area. She would have either froze outside at that time of year or become coyote bait but our son was visiting them at this time and brought her home, tucked safely in his warm winter coat pocket. She is a "Daddy's girl" named Gizmo (Gizzy) and I am her disciplinarian (yeah, right!).

gizzy-1.jpg

Shari

Shari said:
Here's our 7-1/2 lb. 'protector'. A black Pomeranian who was destined to be dumped in the woods at the tender age of 10 weeks (at the beginning of a November, 11 yrs. ago), because original owners were moving out of state and claimed there was no humane society in their area. She would have either froze outside at that time of year or become coyote bait but our son was visiting them at this time and brought her home, tucked safely in his warm winter coat pocket. She is a "Daddy's girl" named Gizmo (Gizzy) and I am her disciplinarian (yeah, right!).

gizzy-1.jpg

Shari

What a great smile!!!!

mutt man

Attachments

• mutt man2.jpg
    mutt man2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 580
I want to know more about Mutt Man. Pit Bull, Pit-cross? age, size? temperament?

I'm a cat person, never all that keen on dogs, frankly. But after our last dog died we lost a cat to a fox attack... never had problems with deer or foxes when we had a dog. So, I started checking the AWS site for a dog that would be OK with cats. Rex was one of them. I damn near died when I saw how big he was and what an idiot he was (dummy me was thinking 30-50 lbs would be easy to find). But I knew he was simply untrained and we could correct that with commitment and time. I lead the charge on the obedience front. Guess what? I'm good at training dogs (probably because I've had horses). And I'm now convinced that dogs are "worthwhile" even though they're a helluva lot more work than a cat.

We periodically dicuss getting Rex "a pet"; a "little" dog, so Gizmo elicited a smile. And if we decide to we wouldn't rule out another "hard to place" cast-off.

Little dogs have a better chance of adoption. Big dogs, esp. untrained ones, have less chance and often wind up euthanized, so I'm drawn to them and Pits pretty much head the list of "undesireables". (Rex went through at least 2 homes and 3 shelters before we adopted him).

What a nice thread.

He is an american bulldog he is about 16 months old i got him at about 5 months old he is the best dog i have ever had he is sweet and nice loves people and has a cat friend named merlin who is age unkown maybe around 10 yrs old? resuced persian. mutt man is about 105lbs now he will most likely put on another 20-30 lbs great dogs really good with people and great gaurd dogs loyal as anything. i will never have anything but an american bulldog can be a bit hard to train if you dont know what you are doing. he is about 7 months old in the pic.

Here's our watch dog.

Attachments

• GEDC0130.JPG
    GEDC0130.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 576
Hard to train because they're smart enough to have a "plan of their own" and need you convince them that your plan is better?

That's how Rex is; really smart and really loyal. But if I don't make it crystal clear that he must follow my plan and my direction he's perfectly happy to "blow me off" and do what he thinks is best. I think that's part of the whole "working dog" mentality and it's why GSDs, Rott.s, Dobermans are so good at what they're trained to do and so potentially dangerous when they're left to their own devices. Funny how someone so keyed into cats gets that about working dogs. And how dogs like that appeal to me most.

And, as anyone who has a dog knows, they're not very good at making effective use of their "free time". ;)

Mr. Mutt is a beautiful dog. Thanks for answering my question.

This is Tanner :)

Attachments

• spring 09 021.jpg
    spring 09 021.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 559
  • Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 557
  • Picture 082.jpg
    Picture 082.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 549
Tonka and Toby

Attachments

• tandt.jpg
    tandt.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 537
This was my best friend this summer, but I think she found a new guy and moved on or something happened to her.

Shipper

Attachments

• Momma 7-17-09_600_450.jpg
    Momma 7-17-09_600_450.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 449
They look cute when they are not knocking over your trash cans and spilling your garbage all over the yard.

Flatbedford said:
They look cute when they are not knocking over your trash cans and spilling your garbage all over the yard.

And they don't have rabies (yet). Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.