Lets take a walk....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you people only got 2 seasons, winter and the Forth of July! Keep the faith baby, warm weather will come, it always has, except when the dinosaurs froze to death!:eek:

Reactions: Woody Stover
There's a ton of access to wood there. And the hard snow makes it easy. After work I'm expecting to have to shovel 16 inches out of the path to the wood shed, probably about 50ft. And pretty much all of it is buried once I get out there.

How do the pheasants seem to be surviving the winter. I hunted near Audubon three years ago and the numbers were still recovering from a bad winter and a wet spring.

fv

How do the pheasants seem to be surviving the winter. I hunted near Audubon three years ago and the numbers were still recovering from a bad winter and a wet spring
Unfortunately the pheasant population around here has been on a serious decline for about 10 years now. Lack of habitat, bad weather and predators are mostly to blame. Any ditch tigers I see get ventilated. Gray partridge are almost non existent. Plenty of turkeys and whitetails but the Iowa DNR says they own them so you gotta pay to eat them until you mash up a car or truck and them the DNR don't want to lay claim to them.

You need to stack closer to the house.
I had 4 cords of wood stacked in the shed just a few feet from my home. Due to the early on set of winter and almost 2 months of below 0 temps here it is all up in smoke.

There's a ton of access to wood there. And the hard snow makes it easy. After work I'm expecting to have to shovel 16 inches out of the path to the wood shed, probably about 50ft. And pretty much all of it is buried once I get out there.
Bring yer shovel and come on over. Might want some ice tongs too. It's 80 yards from the house to the stacks.

Hello fellow North Iowan :cool: I got to add more to my snow pile last night. Now if only my wood pile would grow as fast... :rolleyes:
Great aint it? More folks should experience a full year of Iowa weather to truly appreciate the real deal. But then, food comes from an air conditioned store so there really is no one out there in the heat and cold providing it for those folks. I'll shut up now. It's been a struggle this winter so I might just go polish my stove.:rolleyes:
But then some folks never get to see the true side of our weather when they is out in the flatlands. F4andF5 twisters would make them chit their pants all over. My back yard a couple years ago.

Last edited:
Hello fellow Iowans. I about cried when I heard the forecast yesterday. Going into subzero highs this week is just cruel. I am having to get creative with the wood. I may have to down a very dead standing just to make it though.
If this year doesn't make you a wood hoarder, I don't know what will.

I feel for you. Haven't had it close to that bad ever.

I have the same sled and was thinking about how to make a larger one as my garden cart doesn't cut it when we have thick snow!

I second the depressing weather forcast, enoughs enoughs. Can barely get around to cut wood for next year with all the snow in the fields.

Reactions: Sinngetreu
I just went out and kissed my wood shed right outside the breezeway. My lips stuck to it because the framing is steel but still... But we are a balmy 21 degrees with chill of 7 right now so not so cold.

Only gonna be chill of zero in the morning so not as cold as there.

I hate to chime in but we've got 35-45 mph winds tonight with -0 temps.
Not normal for NY. Usually in the 40's here.
I have that same exact sled too. I use mine for hauling hay to my horsebarn. Cant get to it with the truck. Same frozen snow as you guys.

Should almost b in the 40's here but supose to be -14 tonight, not sure about the wind chill. More snow coming tomorrow night and this weekend. So glad ive got my areins 2 stage snow blower this year!

Butcher, did that for many years, then built myself a wood shed. Makes life in the winter a joy. Do it if you can, you will wonder how you ever did without it. Mine is a combination yard shed/wood shed. It has a porch to dive under when the weather is bad, and heat when I need it. Hang out there and have a smoke most times I go out to get wood.

Got a big fat -18 here, actual temp. Took the trash down and my noise hair were definitely solid by the time I got back in.

A little north of you, but yes, I wish I could get the truck to some trees that need to be harvested. High temp of -5 today, lovin that (polar vortex).

Great Vid......yup, we are looking at another storm along with the current cold snap.....and another 2 trips out to the woodpile I have no right burnin'.....just dirtyin' up my Chimney, but I'll deal with that in the Spring....and I agree, I'm tired of this %$^&.....8 years, retiring to either North, or South Carolina

Makes me grateful for all I have and for being in Northern California. looks bleak out there in Iowa

I am glad I don't have to deal with the weather you guys are getting....Oh, Wait.......

I am with ya - I am sick of it. This winter has literally wore me down.

More folks should experience a full year of Iowa weather to truly appreciate the real deal.
Hang in there, Butcher, it won't be long now. I lived in SE WI for thirty years. Never want to be that cold again. When I moved here, I thought I had moved to the tropics. I'm hoping a guy will call me about a scrounge this weekend. It's supposed to make 50.....before the ice storm hits. _g I'll be moving a buttload of wood up close before then....

Do you know where to get that sled? I need one for pulling wood but all I seem to find are really flexible sleds or saucer sleds around here.

Do you know where to get that sled? I need one for pulling wood but all I seem to find are really flexible sleds or saucer sleds around here.
Believe it or not that sled is probably 25 years old. My kids are in their late 30's and it was theirs when they were kids. Still cant figure out why its still around but i'm glad it is. Sadly I wouldn't have a clue as to where to buy 1 any more.

Reactions: chazcarr
I just picked one up from ACE hardware here. It kind of looks like like but not nearly as heavy plastic. Probably can only find ones with that heavy plastic at garage sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.