Let's Talk 2 Cycle Mixes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MasterMech said:
turbocruiser said:
Can I change the thread just slightly to ask about the recently released Stihl Moto Mix

http://www.stihldealer.net/stihlmotomix-dealer-_yraje.aspx

My main problem is that I really never need more than 1 gallon at a time and because of all the added ethanol around here gasoline won't stay fresh for long. I may actually "save" some money with not wasting stale gasoline or worse off yet stale gasoline/oil mix however at almost $8 per quart that might be my imagination! Thanks.

Mods: If this is more appropriate for another thread altogether, please feel free to delete this. Thanks.

I'm seeing these pre-mixed fuels popping up at different shops here too. I have no experience using them myself but haven't heard any negatives other than it's very expensive to use. If you can't stand the thought of using E10 gasoline/ethanol in your 2-cycle equipment then this would be my first recomendation. I don't encourage folks to use 100LL AvGas in their equipment because of the lead content and the extra octane is unnecessary. Remember that new equipment is coming out with stratocharged engines (kind of like EGR for 2-strokes) and catalytic mufflers. AvGas will poison those mufflers and the lead deposits in the engines aren't helpful either. Plus 100LL AvGas is illegal in anything other than an aircraft and expensive to boot.

FWIW I have had good results using Stihl's HP Ultra Synthetic oil mixed with E10 gasoline and storing it in the can and the machine for months at a time. I mix 1 gallon at a time and it usually lasts me for a few weeks unless I'm cutting wood or blowing leaves. My BR600 sees maybe 1 tank of fuel all summer and knock on wood, no fuel storage issues yet.

I think the pre-mixed fuels are going to be a fad that will either never really take off or go away altogether. $8 a quart is $16 a gallon, holy wallet-shock batman! Not really a viable option if you burn much of the stuff. The real fix to the ethanol "problem" is the manufacturers need to ensure the materials in the fuel system are alchohol compatible. Especially in recent years, even the European manufacturer's awareness of E10/rubber compatibility issues in North America has been improved and as a result their have been fewer and fewer issues in new machines. Now if only we could make "E10 ready" Gasket kits for older carb's we'd be all set.

I've been putting 100LL AvGas in all of my equipment (dirtbikes, chainsaws, lawn mower, pressure washer, ect) for about 8 years with no ill effect. Unless you consider easier starting, quicker revving, and never gumming up a carb ill effects. As for cost - it's about a buck per gallon more than premium around here.

I'm not disputing the fact that your equipment may run great on the stuff. In fact I'm sure the bikes are lovin' it! However, newer technologies are coming down the pike and 100LL WILL poison catalyst mufflers. None of this changes the fact that it's still illegal to run in anything other than aircraft.

MasterMech said:
I'm not disputing the fact that your equipment may run great on the stuff. In fact I'm sure the bikes are lovin' it! However, newer technologies are coming down the pike and 100LL WILL poison catalyst mufflers. None of this changes the fact that it's still illegal to run in anything other than aircraft.

Actually, it's perfectly legal to run in anything that's not plated

Ten years ago an old small Toro snow blower bit the dust, seized up. Lawn mower repair shop said too much oil actully can "overfire" the little two stoke. (I fessed up to likely adding oil twice cause couldn't remember if put it in when filling the one gallon container). The thing was essentially at end of life anyway with worn out flappers. Moral of story: follow manufacturers recommendation!

Status
Not open for further replies.