Lets talk generators!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Generac 17Kw whole house running on NG.

Looks like I'm going to be needing it for a few days if the current storm track plays out!

Just fired up the Generac 8000W and my B&S 2K inverter genny. Both ran nice. Don't think we're gonna need it in Maine, but you folks in the mid-Atlantic, well; I wish you the best. Be prepared and don't count on the utilities. I found that out when I moved to Maine from Mass 5 years ago.

Basically any generator with a Honda motor will be a quiet runner..

I wouldn't go that far.

This isn't gonna be as quiet...

165015_lg.gif

as this...

165022_lg.jpg

Although the first example is probably quieter than a comparable Generac.

Reactions: gd9704
Honda EU6500is generator/inverter. Would not hesitate to purchse same unit again. During power outage it handles well pump, boiler, refrig/freezer, microwave, coffee maker, eletric tea pot, range, computer, television, smoke alarms, light in every room, garage doors, garage lights, basement lights, bath exhaust fans, many outlets, etc.- everything I need for convenient living. Cannot run all appliances at same time but that has never been an issue. Have used inverter about 12 times in last 6 years.

Inverter connects to a UL certified transfer switch so all is safe and code compliant.

Best wishes and good luck to all for a safe survival of any upcoming storms.:)

I have a couple EU2000i's. Now that warranty is almost up on second unit I plan to add an optional propane fuel capability to them.

You can still burn gas when needed.

main.JPG

I currently use marine tanks for extended run times. Just pick up an extra EU2000i gas cap.

100_0614.JPG

I made a little fold up shelter for my EU2000i's when outside in the elements.

100_0606.JPG

100_0618.JPG

Reactions: vinny11950
I have a Libbey MEP-002 on a m116a2 trailer. A jackhammer in the living room would be quieter. The kicker for me is that it is diesel, will run the whole house including the well pump, and will put out 208 3 ph for one piece of equipment that I have. It requires an electrical and diesel engine background to use and maintain, however, and I chose this unit because I am very familiar with the engine that runs them.

The Honda is a very well built machine. They are quiet and run forever with proper maintenance. I know of two with over 5000 hrs and no problems. The fuel efficiency is superb as is the dealer network.

Bite the bullet.

champian 4000/3500 runs freezer, fridge ,tv ,4 ceiling fans ,coffee pot, micro,; satalite, boxes, pellet stove , garage door and lights just fine. 12 hours on 5 gals.... just noisy as all get out when the power is out and its quiet.

I have one of them too. It's been a good generator over the last 3 years and you can't beat the price!

The Honda is a very well built machine. They are quiet and run forever with proper maintenance. I know of two with over 5000 hrs and no problems. The fuel efficiency is superb as is the dealer network.

Bite the bullet.

I've seen some "off-the-grid" users report 12K + hours on their EU2000i's. I thought I remember someone having nearly 15K hours on one as well.

My parents just gave me their Honda EMS4000. They bought it back in '84 after Hurricaine Diana left us without power for over a week. It crapped out during Irene last year, so they got a new Briggs & Stratton and sent the Honda to the local dealer. He was able to fix it right up. It needed a part that Honda no longer makes, but he happened to have one in his inventory!

I currently use marine tanks for extended run times. Just pick up an extra EU2000i gas cap.

Link?

I use a Centurion 5000, I have wired the house for the gen and it will run all of my 120V it will also carry my water heater alone. I also have the Harman 512H and (4) 6v golf cart batteries to run the stove and a light while the water is heating.

Just picked up a EU2000i a few weeks ago from wisesales.com. It will run my kitchen fridge, pellet stove, LCD TV and cable box at same time - just purrs away super quiet and sips gas. Love it! Don't wait or you won't find one.

Parallel it with the companion and you get the full 4K watts with a 30 amp plug.

Here is a kit to connect three.

triple_parallel

If you have two of the standard models and no companion you can still connect two together but there is a limit of about 20 AMPs out of an outlet.

100175_lg.jpg

How about the Yamaha 2000Ie?

I would have no hesitation buying one of the Yamaha's as well. They used to cost more than the Hondas. Not sure if that is still true or not.

The biggest problem with these types of generators is "theft". They are like cash waving in the wind and hold their value really well.

img.jpg
img.jpg

I like how easy it is to get the fuel out of the EU2000i's carb when you are done with it. There is a screw valve on the carb bowl and a fuel line that runs down inside to the bottom of the generator where you can collect the fuel. A few recoils to empty the fuel pump and you are done.

One of these makes changing oil in an EU series a lot cleaner.

!BZvht5wBGk~$(KGrHgoH-DMEjlLltmFiBKoIBgBMy!~~_12.JPG

I also opted for a magnetic dipstick. Probably overkill but want to protect them the best I can.

!Bo)PbT!BWk~$(KGrHqMOKj0Et63u)(Y(BLovT+ECQg~~_3.JPG

Reactions: The Village Idiot
You can three of those bad boys up?? Whoa! I ended getting dual Yamahas.. I like how easy it is to drain the carb.. I just turn the switch and shut off the fuel and the generator carbs run out of fuel on their own. ;) I already bought a cable to lock em up!

I think the magnetic dip stick is a very good idea!

Reactions: The Village Idiot
You can three of those bad boys up?? Whoa! I ended getting dual Yamahas.. I like how easy it is to drain the carb.. I just turn the switch and shut off the fuel and the generator carbs run out of fuel on their own. ;) I already bought a cable to lock em up!

Nice!!

There is probably still a small amount of fuel in the carb bowl though. ;-) Nothing a little fuel stabilizer wouldn't address though.

You can't parallel the 2400's, that's another reason why I got the dual 2000's

Fuel stabilizer in every 5 gallon container I got

I got the yamaha's for $1099 each .... $100 more than Amazon, but I bought it from a local family that will also service it.. And they serviced it prior to delivery, and I walked out of the store with them within an hour.. No delivery fee... Can't beat that! I also owed them $140 for service on my broken generator, which they waved...

How hard is it to set up the fuel lines?

You can't parallel the 2400's, that's another reason why I got the dual 2000's

Interesting.. I didn't know that.

Wise Sales used to have a triple kit that they said you could mix and match Honda models. I notice they are no longer saying that. They just say similar models. There must have been issues mixing EU1000/2000/3000 models together.

Status
Not open for further replies.