let's talk sidearms

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixroses

Jan 31, 2008
alaska
I currently have a copper side arm for my DHW. Is there a large diameter plastic that could be used? Could you use 4- 3/4 in pipes inside a 6" pipe to transfer enough heat in a thermosipohn set up? Just wondering, the copper is so expensive and I would like to get my DMH better plumbed.
Steve

Damn! I thought we were talking about pistols and revolvers..........

;)

... a Glock 17 with an 18 round mag is mostly plastic, does a great job of transferring concentrated energy to the load, and doesn't use copper. :)

Nice, I've got a Glock 26 and 34, but mine so use a little bit of copper so I don't have a fouling issue.

jebatty said:
... a Glock 17 with an 18 round mag is mostly plastic, does a great job of transferring concentrated energy to the load, and doesn't use copper. :)

you must be one of those hardest-core of the ammo reloaders who casts your own hard lead alloy bullets without copper jackets :)

(the sense of offbeat humor on this board is second only to the technical info)

and back on the topic of the real inquiry, I am interested in learning more about possible "alt sidearms" of the thermal type, too

I don't know if I'd WANT a plastic side arm... Most plastics when they get hot (PVC especially) give off carcinogens.... That's why I try to use all copper on my hot water pipes in my house.....

Plus, plastics don't conduct heat very well......

Ummmm the plastic we are referring to are firearms that have plastic bodies.

stihlwoody said:
I currently have a copper side arm for my DHW. Is there a large diameter plastic that could be used? Could you use 4- 3/4 in pipes inside a 6" pipe to transfer enough heat in a thermosipohn set up? Just wondering, the copper is so expensive and I would like to get my DMH better plumbed.
Steve
It seems to me the limit on thermosiphon would be the size of piping to water heater. Do you have a large DHW consumption issue? What about a small HX on the cold water feed line? I've never come close to running out of hot water with a sidearm and a 50 gal. heater, but our household is just two people.

deerefanatic said:
I don't know if I'd WANT a plastic side arm... Most plastics when they get hot (PVC especially) give off carcinogens.... That's why I try to use all copper on my hot water pipes in my house.....

Plus, plastics don't conduct heat very well......

The new Wirsbo catalog I grabbed at my usual supplier now shows 2 inch Aquapex in both oxygen barrier and non-oxygen barrier types. that might be an option for a large diameter non-metal sidearm outer tube. It's frighteningly expensive and comes in 20 foot piece section, with something like a 5-section batch being the standard "order item" so even if you could get one 20 foot length, someone, or a group, would need to do a "team project" to have it fly economically. fittings for that size PEX are also scary in price, but knowing this group, someone could come up with some ingenious alternative to fittings. I know I once briefly did some work for a client whose company made equipment that welded poly and PEX

anyway, take all that for what it's worth for the Boiler Room's "hive mind" to keep brainstorming this idea

Inasmuch there likely are few if any original thoughts, this came to mind. A gas pilot light operates a thermocouple that puts out about one volt and operates a gas valve. Is there a thermocouple (array) that could operate off the hot water in a hot water heater (or boiler) and power a small pump that would circulate the hot water through the sidearm better than thermo-siphoning and achieve a higher level of performance?

What about the same for a radiant heating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.