Letting Go

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross Cut Saw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 25, 2012
Boulder, CO
Just found out today that our 9 year old dog Luna (fondly referred to as Luna the Tuna) has only a few weeks to go.
She had "hurt" her leg in late June, after consulting the vet we limited her activities and have been waiting for her to get better but last weekend we noticed a lot of swelling in her back knee.

We found out this afternoon it's called Osteocarcinoma and based on when her symptoms started she's only got a few weeks left.

Damn it if she doesn't look like the picture of health besides her leg. Just damn it.

When I met my wife I was "interviewing" to be her roommate in a house she rented and I let my dog Beans go running right in as she usually does and she ran right over to Luna, grabbed her favorite toy and they both started licking each others faces. Little did I know at that time that Luna doesn't like other dogs especially not ones that run into her house and grab her stuff.
I would never let a dog run up to her, she'd try and rip it's face off but they were instantly soul mates.
My future wife was so impressed by the encounter we were invited to move in a few minutes later.

7 years and 2 kids later the dogs are what brought us together.

We just had our first stove installed this spring and every time I think of what the room will be like with all of us cozied up to the fire I see Beans on one side and Luna on the other.

Poor Beans, I'm not sure how we're going to involve her but I don't want her best friend to just leave one day and never come back...

Go give your dog a good belly rub for Luna.

-Joe

Reactions: Realstone
I can relate. We are only a few weeks from putting down our dog. He developed partial paralysis in his back legs that, according to the vet, happens in larger dogs as they age. Something about the nerves just stop working.

Wow, all I can say is I'm so sorry. I hate losing a good dog. They're a just like losing family. Hang in there. A C

Sorry to hear this. I hate losing a "pet."

I saw this on a truck this week

BCF00DFB-6EC8-4A12-9A23-C8BD26B9FF2B-152-0000000629361850.jpg

So sorry to hear this. It won't be easy.
Read this book sometime.
order.jpg

Tough times.

Thanks everyone, we feel kind of blind sided by the whole thing she's such a vibrant strong dog. :(

We're going to do what's best for her though and help her go without suffering. She's on pain meds and an anti inflammatory which will keep her from being uncomfortable for now. Next weekend we're going to devote to doting on her...

Sorry to hear Cross Cut, that's a tough one.

zap

So sorry to hear about Luna. Over the years I have confronted by a similar situation on several occasions. We value our K9 companions like family, so when we are losing one, it hits the entire pack hard. Your are doing the best that you can for her. Enjoy the time left. After the ineviable happens, remember the good times, and know that you gave Luna the best possible care and love that you did.

Sorry to hear CCS.
This is always a tough decision when it comes right down to it, but it's the best thing for your Luna.
We've lost/put down several dogs in the past few years. It's never easy.
Hang in there.

Reactions: pen
Yeah it's a tough thing. In my 63 years, so far, I've said goodbye to something like 7 dogs and 4 cats. Every one, the "best", of course...just like your Luna the Tuna. Grief is a journey that never really ends. You're lucky to have someone who will walk through it with you by your side. Never forget, that should you find yourselves ready at some point in the future, there is no shortage of really good dogs out there who need good homes. Again, my condolences. I know you'll keep her as comfortable as you can, it's all you can do for her now. Rick

Read that book. Totally blew my tough guy facade.... :(

I was reading it at work. I was so afraid that one of the guys would see me crying like a baby.

Well, we're pretty sure the little guy just had a stroke or something close to that. He collapsed earlier and he hasn't been the same for the last several hours. It's almost like part of him left when you look at him. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, but we spoke with the vet and we gave him a good dose of pain meds that we had for him. Looks like tomorrow or Monday will be the day we put him down.

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Reactions: rottiman
Sorry to hear the bad news Crosscut and BB. Loosing a buddy you've had for life is really tough.I've had to bring more than one lifetime pet to the vets to be put down and hated doing it. Cried all the way home too. Grieving is part of the process, but remember all the good times too.

Very sorry to hear about your family member...and that is what they are. Its always hard to say goodbye, but I guess its something we will all have to do to everything at some point. Godspeed Luna

Woody made his final vet visit about two hours ago. It sucked. A lot.

Tough to hear.
Our little Rosie is getting somewhere near the end....Cavaliers all get congestive heart failure. It can be controlled for a while, but there is no cure or turning back the clock too far.

To wear out my Procol Harum quote:
"My old dog is a good old dog
My old man is a silly old sog"

So sorry, BBar and Crosscut. Very tough to go through. May your memories console.

Status
Not open for further replies.