Letting my Blaze King Princess burn out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbels

Mar 6, 2014
Lima, NY
I will be leaving in a while for over 24 hours from my house for the first time since I've owned the stove. I want the stove to burn as long as possible, so I would like to burn it with the cat engaged. I don't allow the stove to burn with the Cat engaged in the inactive stage, but this will be inevitable over the 24 hour period. Should I leave it engaged or not? Will it do it any damage? Or will I just need to burn it hot for a while with the next fire to clean it up? Thanks!

After the wood is done offgassing, there is nothing left for the cat to burn. It will go inactive at the end of the burn, but there is nothing left to hurt anything. Not your cat or the chimney.

Don't worry, let it burn.

I'm a bit more parinoid as I don't like my bk burning after I leave for vacation. I typically let it burn down while I'm still home and pay for an extra 24 hours of propane. This way I don't loose any sleep wondering if I did engage the cat, fully laches the door, etc.

For what it is worth. I frequently run with the cat engaged at the end of my burn cycle... Especially during the shoulder season.

I will confess, if I am home and at the end of a burn cycle (big coals, no active flames at all) I will disengage the cat and ramp up the primary air to burn the coals.

But when we are gone for a while (especially shoulder season) it is nothing to leave the stove for 12 - 16 hours and let it burn. There may be almost no coals left, oh well.

Your cat is only at risk if you have chemicals (painted/treated wood) going through it, thermal shock, or wet wood (or a fresh reload). Once you have burned what is in your box to get that initial moisture out, there is nothing to worry about.

Let er burn man!
You can't hurt the cat that way.

I will confess, if I am home and at the end of a burn cycle (big coals, no active flames at all) I will disengage the cat and ramp up the primary air to burn the coals.
I used to do that but leave the cat engaged, usually threw a pine split or eco brick on top.

When I'd leave for a few days I'd load her up and put it on low to get the longest burn I could, if I was only gone a couple days I usually had some coals buried in the ash to get it going again when I got back.

Status
Not open for further replies.