Leveling Stove on Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim IA

Nov 9, 2006
Central Iowa
My hearth is fairly uneven and need to find something to put under a leg or two to level out the stove. Does anyone have any good recommendations on what to use? I'm hoping for something that is inconspicuous....

haha, you caught me! The back left leg of my Jotul has a PENNY under it :)

Of course, my hearth is brick, and the ole penny is never seen.....choose your coin(s) wisely, use a magic marker to color it dark if you need to.

If your legs are easily removable you can always take a floor jack and remove the high legs and grind or sand with coarse sand
paper. I did this with mine, of course they were stamped steel.

That is a good thought! I used a couple of sheet metal shims to get mine to stop rocking. You might also consider large 'fender washers' from the local hardware store if you need something larger than coinage.

One of the "problems" in using slate I suppose . . . I ended up using a washer under the front right leg of my Oslo.

I use a dime that is partially under the front leg of my heritage. I think it adds to the installation. Some folks notice and the smarter ones figure out why it's there.

Highbeam said:
I use a dime that is partially under the front leg of my heritage. I think it adds to the installation. Some folks notice and the smarter ones figure out why it's there.

. . . and the dumb/cheap ones try to pocket the dime when Highbeam isn't looking. :) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.