Lewis Winch or Capstan winch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barkeatr

Jan 22, 2011
Upstate NY
I cant afford a farmi logging winch set up but Lewis Winch or Capstan winch are more in my budget, any folks have comments on which is better? lewis winch is quite a bit less in cost, but requires taking your blade off your saw and connecting. Is this a pain or is it pretty easy?

I've seen them in the Northern Tool catalogue.Like $700-800 bucks.For less than that you can get a nice winch to attach to bumper or frame of your 4 x 4 or tractor,without leaving you with 1 less saw.Plus they put quite a strain on saw engine pulling heavy loads at higher speeds,that will shorten the life also.

Thistle said:
I've seen them in the Northern Tool catalogue.Like $700-800 bucks.For less than that you can get a nice winch to attach to bumper or frame of your 4 x 4 or tractor,without leaving you with 1 less saw.Plus they put quite a strain on saw engine pulling heavy loads at higher speeds,that will shorten the life also.

Yea but bet it would be cool with a 120cc saw as a power plant! :cheese:

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Kiss my 288XP buh-bye. :lol: 13,000+RPM I'd be pissed to burn that up in one weekend :mad:

Still have to anchor the contraption to something heavy & sturdy,I'm not setting any tail spars ya know ;-P

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Kiss my 288XP buh-bye. :lol: 13,000+RPM I'd be pissed to burn that up in one weekend :mad:

Still have to anchor the contraption to something heavy & sturdy,I'm not setting any tail spars ya know ;-P

lmao...Not sure how I going to handle it Sunday 11.5krpm big block if you will Beaver tailing.... :cheese: (I have the updated 880)

you must be talking about a 12 volt winch if its less cost than a Lewis? I had heard a 12v electric winch didnt work so well for logging..that they burned up easily. My use would be somewhat occasional..so maybe an electrical winch would be fine. do you know of a make and model that works well?

barkeatr said:
you must be talking about a 12 volt winch if its less cost than a Lewis? I had heard a 12v electric winch didnt work so well for logging..that they burned up easily. My use would be somewhat occasional..so maybe an electrical winch would be fine. do you know of a make and model that works well?

when you say logging what excactly are you trying to do? what type of ground you on?

I have a Northern Tool 2000lb capacity 12V winch that works great.If I cant get in close enough with truck,cables,log chains and/or its bigger - I just buck it in shorter lengths.Even milling I rarely use any logs over 7-8ft max anyway.Firewood I'll buck the larger ones to 3-4 ft long if it means not having to carry any of it up hill or long distances manually.

Plus it has 2yr extended warranty (3yrs total) for $10,so if I burn it up,I'll get a free one.Cant beat that.

im just doing small scale log harvesting for my personal firewood. I might need to pull one or two logs up to my tractor every weekend...most logs i can get to without a winch. I have some areas that are very stone filled and not accessible by tractor...but i could run a winch cable into these areas to exTRACT a log. ground in this area is varied, pretty wet...

barkeatr said:
im just doing small scale log harvesting for my personal firewood. I might need to pull one or two logs up to my tractor every weekend...most logs i can get to without a winch. I have some areas that are very stone filled and not accessible by tractor...but i could run a winch cable into these areas to exTRACT a log. ground in this area is varied, pretty wet...

That sounds perfect for you then.You'll probably find other uses for it around the homestead also.I have already.Wish I bought one yrs ago,I was younger & had loads more energy so didnt mind doing things the hard way then. :lol:

excellant, this is great news. Im off to northern tool right now.

thanks thistle!

Thistle said:
barkeatr said:

That sounds perfect for you then.You'll probably find other uses for it around the homestead also.I have already.Wish I bought one yrs ago,I was younger & had loads more energy so didnt mind doing things the hard way then. :lol:

:)

What was the final purchase decision, and how well is it working?

Thanks

I bought a 12,000lb hydraulic winch and had a carrier built to use off the back of my tractor. Cost was well under a grand. Still putting it together. Might get to use it this yr.

Flatbedford said:
Take a look at these before you go electric. Very flexible and no batteries required.
http://www.wyeth-scott.com/images/mpp3.gif
http://www.wyeth-scott.com/

They work great.Lots of pulling power with not much effort. I used Dad's 30 yr old one in late August to pull down a hanger.Just needed to move it barely 10 ft,it was too much for the 12V winch. One thing I've found is there is no one 'perfect' tool that fits every job.Nice to have several options.

I bought mine back in '96 and have used it for all kinds of stuff over the years. It will surely last my entire lifetime... and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.