Lewiston, Maine Fuel Dealer Gets Into Bulk Pellet Distribution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

defield

Nov 21, 2008
South Central Maine
The Lewiston, Maine, Sun-Journal ran a front page photo and article this morning about a Lewiston fuel dealer that is getting into the bulk pellet distribution business.

Thought that fellow pellet forum folks would be interested.

You should be able to copy and paste the following URL into your browser or visit www.sunjournal.com .

Shortcut to: http://www.sunjournal.com/story/305100-3/LewistonAuburn/From_wood_to_oil_and_back/

My only comments after reading the article are: Long term, good for them and will give owners of pellet furnaces a reliable source for bulk purchases. Short term, their current bulk prices are high compaired to today's oil prices.

it is only good to be green for most people when it is saving them some green. bulk price should be under normal tonage prices.

Hasn't anyone caught on to the fact that Les Otten wants to corner the pellet market in New England? He's contracting with the producers for their entire production, controlling the distribution, the only way we're going to be able to buy pellets is from him, at whatever price he charges. HELLO, HUGO!

Who is Les Otten?

He is the former owner of ski resorts in Maine. Sunday River and SugarLoaf was some of the Maine resorts. he also owned others out west. he also a minority owner of the Boston Red Sox.

www_godzilla said:
He is the former owner of ski resorts in Maine. Sunday River and SugarLoaf was some of the Maine rsorts. he also owned others out west. he also a minority owner of the Boston Red Sox.

Thanks for the info. I'm a transplant so his name didn't register.

fyrwoodguy said:
let's not forget what he did with ATTITASH in N.H.and then CRANMORE.....

I forgot what he did. Remind me.

Sounds good to me. 260 a ton for 4 tons (what I use). No lugging bags around!
sign me up. Hopefully this idea will catch on.

$260 a ton is still too high for bulk pellets. A few other things too, one is what kind of container do you have handy in your basement or garage to put them in? Then you have moisture to deal with, if you are in a very humid area and your pellets are in bulk not in a sealed bag they will absorb water and you wont get the efficiency out of them. Then you have the problem of going into your bulk container and filling up another container to haul the pellets indoors or from your basement upstairs to your stove. Its a lot easier, and more convenient to just stack up the bags which are sealed against moisture, and rodents etc..

This guy doesnt have to have them bagged, sealed, shrink wrapped or anything and he wants $260 a ton? Thats unreal, but I bet there are people who think 260 is a bargain and would jump on it. If I cant get pellets for next season at under $200 a ton my stove will be a nice looking planter or I can switch to a wood burning insert in its place.

Overall I think the idea of bulk sales is a good idea, but there are a lot of kinks to work out yet on storage, and handling for the home owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.