Leyden Room Air Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

odlaw

Hearth Supporter
Aug 14, 2009
Central NY
HI,
My york insert has the same scenario. I too thought it was missing a filter or something but have been using that way for 4 years. The pellet stove manufacturers just adapt these components to their stoves and some off the engineering just isn't there. Igniter rods are is a good example of of bad stove engineering. They burn out because they were made to be incased with a tight tolerence in metal not glowing in open air.

Just curious, should a Leyden room air blower be open on the side? Maybe someone would look in through the back of their Leyden for me? I imagine it should be, otherwise it wouldn't get any air at all. I don't see any other openings, but the blower housing has some drilled holes that look like they would hold on a side cover plate. So now I'm wondering . .. 8-/ Sorry Macman, camera's not available. :)

Thanks, Mike -

odlaw said:
HI,
My york insert has the same scenario. I too thought it was missing a filter or something but have been using that way for 4 years. The pellet stove manufacturers just adapt these components to their stoves and some off the engineering just isn't there. Igniter rods are is a good example of of bad stove engineering. They burn out because they were made to be incased with a tight tolerence in metal not glowing in open air.

they go out because of cheap electrical construction, and stoves running on t-stats turning to stove on and off more frequently than it should...

whitfield/avalon/lopi and some other stoves blow air around the ignitor and onto the pellets for ignition, but air flow isnt the reason they fail

use manual t-stats, or adjust digital swing as far up as possible to prevent frequent firing

Status
Not open for further replies.