LG Granules

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slls

Minister of Fire
Jun 9, 2008
central maine Lat 45
Burnt 3 bags. They sooted up my TC cover right off the bat. No TC cover turning red on start up flare up.
Won't burn them again.
Anyone else have problems with them. I noticed in 2 spec sheets the moisture
content is closer to 7% when most pellets are closer to 5%.

I just bought a ton. Burned 6 bags. No problems, real good heat.

Never burned LG's. But I know what your talking about on the T/C cover....

Some pellets seem to barely affect it. Some make it dark brown colored and then others just have Ash that "sticks" to the bottom side of the cover.

Try avoiding pellets that do that...

Wow, I love them. They burn hot and clean for me. Window stays clean for days. Burning them right now.

Okay, okay Please excuse my ignorance..."TC cover"? Thermocouple? - Is this just a 'Quad' thing? I take it that it's a bad thing to get this all mucked up?

Anyway, I have lots of experience burning LGs, and in comparison to other pellets - the LGs do seem to leave a darker 'soot like' residue on my window - and this is on nuclear #4 setting on my Maxx. I wonder if it does have anything to do with the higher moisture content? I shouldn't say 'soot-like' because actually, I find that they throw off 'great' heat and have a nice, manageable ash for me.

VTrider said:
Okay, okay Please excuse my ignorance..."TC cover"? Thermocouple? - Is this just a 'Quad' thing? I take it that it's a bad thing to get this all mucked up?

Anyway, I have lots of experience burning LGs, and in comparison to other pellets - the LGs do seem to leave a darker 'soot like' residue on my window - and this is on nuclear #4 setting on my Maxx. I wonder if it does have anything to do with the higher moisture content? I shouldn't say 'soot-like' because actually, I find that they throw off 'great' heat and have a nice, manageable ash for me.

Quadrafire's and Heatilator's have a Thermocouple that sits within a Cermaic Cover. This tells the stove there is a Fire and then tells it, its a Hot fire and to continue to burn.

This is a pic after my Spring Cleaning at the end of last season (painted firebox).

Attachments

• index-9.jpeg
    index-9.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 202
  • index-8.jpeg
    index-8.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 226
I get soot on my glass no matter what pellet I burn. I think it's an m55 thing. Always starts in the right side and goes from there. Doesn't bother me. I clean every week.

VTrider said:
Thanks Dex for enlightening me! I understand now. Hey, not to get too much off topic here, I couldn't help but notice the nice paint job - was it you a while back who re-ceramic their burnpot?

It was a Quad Pot. But not mine. It was a Mt. Vernon Pot that was ceramic coated. Forum member Zoecat.
I just painted mine with High Temp paint. Looked really nice throughout the Summer (w/ logs in also). It only took a few extra minutes to do it and because the leafblower was running outside, all fumes were sucked straight out of the house. No smell, no fuss, etc.. Taping the plastic to the very outside took the longest (few minutes). Helps protect the firebox and other components from surface rust amd premature wear.

Ceramic burn pot coating
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/57164/

Ceramic burn pot coating 2
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/57165/

Attachments

• index-10.jpeg
    index-10.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 202
Status
Not open for further replies.