lg or bosch front-load washer owners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
Looking at either a lg or bosch front loader to replace the old top loader and it's always difficult sifting through online reviews. I've narrowed it down to these two manufacturers and wonder if anyone here can offer experience with either.

I'm more concerned with the quality and heft of the main bearing in each and can't find much input on this.

I have an LG...sorry don't know the exact model. It has the direct drive system so fewer moving parts.

Although I've never actually operated it, we've had it for about 18-24 months with 0 issues.

did this ourselves about 4 months ago. After looking at all the reviews and consumer reports, etc, we ended up going with the Kenmore. Really good experience with sears and best price. LG was REAL nice but couldn't justify $500-600 differences.

also, when we did the purchase, the pedestals were thrown in for free. i was adamant about not paying $300-400 for overpriced shelves. (but it wasn't up to me... homemade wasn't gonna cut it with the boss lady so this worked out well)

We looked at LG and Bosch front loaders when we built our new house. We tentatively settled on Bosch, then did some serious digging. Bottom line, too many people having trouble with front loaders period. Then there is the mold issue. Some people get it with FLs, some don't. There didn't seem be any rhyme or reason as to who gets it and who doesn't. We didn't want to go down that path and find out the hard way, so we decided against a FL. We bought a commercial top loader instead.

We are happy (translation, the wife is happy. I'm ecstatic).

One brand you probably havent looked at is a Staber. They are commerical machines built in the US and were around long before front loaders came out. They are a horizontal axis washer so they work like a front loader but are loaded from the top. They have a stainless steel drum and no transmission. Since they are top loading, there are no seals to leak. They use mechanical timers and about the only thing that can break is the drive belt. They are popular for off grid solar folks. Not cheap but they seem to run forever. They dont look very high tech, but they dont use much water and they do a great job spinning out water so the clothes take less time to dry.

We've used a Bosch front loader for about 2 years now without problem. We've been impressed with its performance. It was also one of the few available clothes washers built in the USA.

It is loud when it spins. You want to make sure you have a stable floor with one of these as they really wind up when spinning and can really shake things up.

WhitePine said:
We looked at LG and Bosch front loaders when we built our new house. We tentatively settled on Bosch, then did some serious digging. Bottom line, too many people having trouble with front loaders period. Then there is the mold issue. Some people get it with FLs, some don't. There didn't seem be any rhyme or reason as to who gets it and who doesn't. We didn't want to go down that path and find out the hard way, so we decided against a FL. We bought a commercial top loader instead.

We are happy (translation, the wife is happy. I'm ecstatic).

Had our last top loader for 20 years and never a hint of mold or mildew - we leave the top open when it's idle and it dries out quickly. There are some top loading HE models from Kenmore and Whirlpool that look good.

Whatever you choose leaving the door open when not in use is important. There have been class action lawsuits due to mold/mildew problems in the door gaskets. Leave it open and it you won't have any problems.

Also, they need to be level. Not kinda close, but perfectly level. The spin cycle is aggressive and they will walk across the floor if out of level.

Very good tips and right on Reggie.

We have had great luck with Frigidaire. The front loaders we've had are actually made by Electrolux. First front loader we had from them was made in Sweden, we had it for 10 yrs. with no problems. We upgraded a couple years ago with a remodel and the new unit (Gallery series) has been doing fine. We also got an Electrolux oven (not Frigidaire) and it too has been great.

I was hesitant to go with the front loaders after hearing some horror stories but after 5 months, am THRILLED with them. Uses a lot less water, a SCANT amount of soap compared to our old economy model top loaders. The spin on the washer gets a lot of water out so much less dryer needed = less electricity.

+1 on leaving the door open.

On a side note, big fan of newer HE detergents in general (top or front loader) and effectiveness in cold water. Pretty much use cold water loads exclusively to save on hot water and clothes are just as clean.

Lastly, personal opinion, but NEVER spring for the extended service plan... just save your money. If it's gonna have an issue, it'll probably be in the first 3-12 months under regular warranty. Save your money. That's what all the consumer reports and other sites are recommending also.

Not one of the two models you mentioned, but my wife and I have had a front loading Whirlpool (bought from Sears) now for over three years . . . in retrospect I think it was actually closer to four or five years . . . I can never remember this stuff . . . I do know that the only issue we had with it was with the original "paddles" inside that broke off . . . replacement paddles have been beefed up and have had no issues since then.

For everyone who leaves their door open and has no problems with mold, you can find someone who also leaves it open and does have mold. We personally know a family that has been fighting this battle for years. They also thoroughly wipe down everything after each use, all to no avail.

There are probably multiple factors at work. I don't think the final chapter on this issue has been written yet.

maybe it's completely anecdotal but i am "hoping" that the mold issues were with the older molders and new machines hopefully have that beat. but i have ZERO evidence to really support that

Our previous washer was a front loading Maytag and it had mold issues and I'm pretty sure was the one that was the subject of litigation.

We've had no such mold problems with our Bosch though we do leave the door open.

Yes the early Maytag Neptunes had a lot of problems.

I appreciate the input very much.

I've looked at many of the other models mentioned but have narrowed my focus to bosch or lg. Lg has a ten year motor warranty and among the highest ratings on average, and bosch has always proven itself with great engineering - got to narrow the choice somewhere.

I'd rather not spend the amount that these machines demand but It's difficult to not consider the water savings, detergent savings, and the more effective spin cycle they offer. I'm off-grid so the water savings translates to much less electricity demand from my pump.

Also, one issue we have is that our top loader just doesn't get our clothes that clean and we've tried every trick to change that. The agitation cycle is marginal and I think the front loaders have that beat by a long shot.

I have a maytag neptune and I get a tiny one inch strip of black mildew at the bottom of the opening.
No where else, just that tiny little goatee strip.

Mom has these huge LG front load washer and dryer. Why she got these huge things after Dad died except for spite because he refused to spend the money.

Haven't had any troubles with either. ( Maytag, nor LG)

Both houses have bee hive septic so low water use is a must have.
I don't think they clean any better than the top loader but they may put less wear on fabric.

We bought LG front loaders in 2009, my wife has been after me ever since to go back to toploaders due to 1) mold and mildew stench emanating from it, I have had to "shock" it twice by running vinegar and bleach cycles only to kill the offending odors. I have to regularly drain the bottom of the machine to get out any stagnanat water. Granted that we caused some of the issue by using too much detergent for a while, causing the build up. 2) She hates the fact that every time that a transfer from washer to dryer is made that clothes hit the floor.

I have been able to control the odor by using www.technofresh.net/, but I will not be able to keep it at bay forever, and the added steps and expense of this product are not working for me. I am not sure how we will proceed at some point I may have to bite the proverbial bullet and go back to toploaders, as they say a happy wife is a happy life.

Do you want to buy my LG frontloaders??? I will sell them cheap.

Utilitrack said:
We bought LG front loaders in 2009, my wife has been after me ever since to go back to toploaders due to 1) mold and mildew stench emanating from it, I have had to "shock" it twice by running vinegar and bleach cycles only to kill the offending odors. I have to regularly drain the bottom of the machine to get out any stagnanat water. Granted that we caused some of the issue by using too much detergent for a while, causing the build up. 2) She hates the fact that every time that a transfer from washer to dryer is made that clothes hit the floor.

I have been able to control the odor by using www.technofresh.net/, but I will not be able to keep it at bay forever, and the added steps and expense of this product are not working for me. I am not sure how we will proceed at some point I may have to bite the proverbial bullet and go back to toploaders, as they say a happy wife is a happy life.

The mold issue is a conundrum for me. Some folks have no problems and others do. I know we even had a problem with our top loader a year ago, but my wife insisted on immediately closing the lid after a wash cycle and that seemed to be the cause. I threw everything at it to little avail and finally got it beat I don't know how.

I'm wondering if, as you mentioned, excess detergent contributes, and particularly in a front loader which requires much less and even specially formulated detergent. That may explain why some experience the problem while others not.

let me just say
my wife hates them for many reasons
wishes we'd of never bought them

dvellone said:
Utilitrack said:

The mold issue is a conundrum for me. Some folks have no problems and others do. I know we even had a problem with our top loader a year ago, but my wife insisted on immediately closing the lid after a wash cycle and that seemed to be the cause. I threw everything at it to little avail and finally got it beat I don't know how.

I'm wondering if, as you mentioned, excess detergent contributes, and particularly in a front loader which requires much less and even specially formulated detergent. That may explain why some experience the problem while others not.

I certainly do think that using too much detergent is a big part of it.

Kenmore HE3 front loader - need to leave the door open or else it stinks up the laundry room

I use a minimal amount of HE detergent with cold water and throw some pretty nasty work clothes in it - always come out clean...

High speed spin is great - clothes come out damp.

I've only had the washer for two years so I can't say much about longevity but I bought both the washer and dryer at the scratch and dent for (a lot) less than the cost of an 'in the box' washer so if they last a few more years I'm ahead of the game

Aaron

This whole mold/smell thing has really thrown me for a loop . . . never heard it or experienced it before reading about it here. As I said I've had years with no issues . . . I know my wife does tend to keep the door open ajar after doing a load . . . but other than that . . . and using the appropriate (reduced) amount of detergent (usually the cheap stuff) we haven't done anything different and like Aaron I've put some pretty nasty stuff through the wash . . . often without her knowing.

As long as the door is not latched the washer stays fresh

We also don't use any bleach 99% of the time so that may be a factor

If you do regular loads in hot or use bleach, that may be the difference (well you may not but the wife may....)

Aaron

Just had an eye exam - typing blind (dilated pupils) is fun :coolhmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.