LG soft granules

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capecod

Feb 22, 2008
"on Cape"
Opinions on this pellet. Looking for pellets to burn in my harman p68 for the 15-16 season. Formally used Barefoots, but they are currently out of my price range!
Thx in advance,
Marina

I paid more for them (4.5 tons last year ) thinking they would be a better premium pellet . They are OK , but in my Harman and the PDVC they burned no better and produced as much ash as most other middle of the road hardwood pellets I`ve used. I won`t be buying them again unless they are competively priced. IMO they aren`t worth a nickel more.

I had a slightly different experience: The combustion settings were set for these pellets, they burned very well. Consistent and I was able to use less than a bag a day. I did however find another pellet that matched the LG's performance for the most part and cost $75.00 less per ton. So the LG's are here, but for times we want extended burn times, the stove can burn up to 92** hours without feeding it. **claimed by the mfr.

I paid more for them (4.5 tons last year ) thinking they would be a better premium pellet . They are OK , but in my Harman and the PDVC they burned no better and produced as much ash as most other middle of the road hardwood pellets I`ve used. I won`t be buying them again unless they are competively priced. IMO they aren`t worth a nickel more.
Well, they're supposed to be Spruce, a softwood.

I burned a couple tons of LGs last year, and they were great. Very clean, no fines. Ash was less than average. If I could get them for a competitive price, I'd think they'd be a no-brainer.

Having said that, this year, I saw a couple threads where people had very poor results with this year's batch of LGs.

I burned a ton of these this year as well as a ton of the LG Super Premiums (got a smoking deal on Craigslist for those). It's my first year burning pellets so I have limited experience. These pellets were OK for $295/ton that I paid for them. At 265/ton they would have been great. My Harman isn't too picky. There was no noticeable difference to me between them and the Super Prems beside the 30# bags. My cap is $300/ton I'm still undecided if I'll buy the LG's again. Also worth noting I bought my stove used and ran (unknowingly) most of the season with the wrong flame guide. Once I changed that the ash was far better and the glass stayed clean for more than a day. I think based on what I've seen there is more variation in 'lots' and raw material of the same brand than there is between brands.

I like them, very little fines. woodpellets.com sells them for $304

Granules LG
4flames.png
8600 BTU/lb

ash_3.png
.39% ash

$304.90 /ton

Just shut down to check the stove and I believe LG is the first pellet I have burned this heating season that did not leave any trace of carbon deposits. Also left very little ash.

Burnt about 15 bags this season they were ok. Better then green supreme, on the other hand everything I have tried is better than garbage supreme. For next season I'm getting one pallet of la crete and 2 tons of a df either blazer or okanagan. Finally two dealers in my area will be carrying blazers. Never tried them but heard they are just as good as okanagan. Waiting to see which one is cheaper.

I found these pellets to have virtually no fines. My burn pot stayed fairly clean. They where equal ash to many cheaper pellets. And glass stayed hazy grey for 12 plus hours opposed to other cheap brands. The heat out put was very pathetic I found these to be the coldest pellet ive burned all year with an average temp of 200 opposed to every other pellet at 260 to 300 on the same test setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.