Liberty glass gasket question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
Last week I switched out the regular glass on my liberty for the etched elk glass and know on the handle side of the door I'm seeing black horizontal streaks. Is this from possible air leaking? My gut feeling tells me it is but I wanted to make sure. The new glass didn't come with new gasket but the instructions said to use the existing gasket so I did because it looked almost brand new. I tightened the glass clips very tight but maybe could have gone a little tighter but I really didn't want to break the $179 glass. When the stove goes cold tomorrow I'll take the door apart and tighten some more.

You can try running a lit cigarette or even the flame from a grill lighter around the external area of where the seal would be when the stove is up and running. If the flame or smoke gets pulled in, then you know you have an air leak there.

But, by the sounds of what you are seeing (and I'm guessing you never had this before) it seems like an air leak.

pen

Never thought of the grill lighter in fact I have one beside the stove, going to try that now

Yep, very small air leak. It pulled the flame in slightly. Now the fun part tightening the glass clips more w/o breaking the glass. Thanks for the lighter suggestion. Can't believe I was the dumb<> not to think of that. The lighter was sitting right in front of me:mad:

Reactions: pen
Yep, very small air leak. It pulled the flame in slightly. Now the fun part tightening the glass clips more w/o breaking the glass. Thanks for the lighter suggestion. Can't believe I was the dumb<> not to think of that. The lighter was sitting right in front of me:mad:

If you think you are tightening things more than necessary, just order a new gasket and start from there!

Don't risk that new glass!

Status
Not open for further replies.