Lid design for "open" storage tanks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hkobus

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Hi all,

I am finalizing my design as we go here, but am interested in your input on the lid for an open round tank. The tank will be build from the 52" high sides of an above ground pool, it had some shipping damage and came for the right price. The diameter will be 8 to 8.5' and lined with pond liner. Between the liner and the steel will be 1" of foam board. On the outside of the steel I will use 2 layers of Roxull R 22 and cover it with the rest of the pool steel. I am looking at floating some paraffin wax to reduce the evaporation.

What have others done for a lid to cover the tank and as a base for the insulation needed on top. I am thinking on la larger fixed portion and a smaller opening part to access the coils and sensors when needed.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Henk.

I built a 2x6 stud frame around the perimeter. I cut plywood with a jigsaw with the radius that I needed. Insulate the frame with cellulose. I cut a cover out of plywood and attached a piece of rubber liner to the bottom. Again 2x6 stud frame with fiberglass insulation. Another plywood layer on top cut out with a jigsaw.seems to be working so far

My round tank has a cut round piece of polyisocynate 2" foil faced insulation with a folded aluminum cover and mpdm liner/cover. supported by a pipe X thru the high side of the tank. to remove just unscrew the sheet metal screws. refill as necessary and check your PH. very little evaporation in one year. sweetheat

Status
Not open for further replies.