Life Span-Dura Vent SS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K31Scout

Aug 11, 2006
Northern Michigan
I installed my Englander stove with 12 feet of insulated double wall ss Dura Vent in 2006. What is the average life span of the DuraVent pipe?

I clean it twice a year and never get more than 1 or 2 cups of crud. Any signs of wear that I could watch for?

Our DuraVent was installed in the same year. It is like new other than an old bird splatter on its side that I spotted yesterday. The pipe should last 20+ years if there are no stressful events like a chimney fire.

Something to consider; Are you using a poly brush, or a steel brush? The steel brush heads are harder on the pipe as they can wear away the inner liner. We're not talking removing tons of material at a time... but scratches add up. Poly brush heads on the other hand are less damaging to the pipe, but I assume require more brushing to remove the same amount of material.

Other than severe internal conditions (chimney fire), or severe external conditions (winds strong enough to stress the pipe joints to failure)... the stainless steel in these chimneys should last a heck of a long time. The only thing that will cause external breakdown is longterm exposure to strong acid rain (bye bye paint job on your car). Internal breakdown could be caused by similar issues... burning material that caused corrosion of the pipe surface.

You'll be replacing your roof long before you replace the chimney if it's installed properly. Sounds like you've already got the basic maintenance stuff covered. Just inspect joints every year or two, make sure nothing is coming loose.

Thanks, I feel better now with one less thing to worry about replacing in the near future. I am using a nylon type brush. It's a tight fit and does a great job. I only have to push and pull it 3 times to get the chimney fairly clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.