Life wasn't challenging enough. (new pup)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ya, 2 springer pups. ( what the _____ was I thinking) They are 8 months now. Still a bit of a challenge, but hey they almost have me trained!

Attachments

• springers at 5 mo 010.jpg
    springers at 5 mo 010.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 362
Adios Pantalones said:
The "experts" claim that a 2 syllable name is best- less likely to confuse it with a common word. Max and Bear are 2 of the most common dog names this year- I'd avoid them for that alone (I'm a bahstid like that).

Experts also say a job for a dog is a good idea. I have thought about how it would be nice to have my new dog help out with moving the wood piles. Earn his keep, if you know what I mean! Here is something along those lines. I would want a little bigger cart. Those big dogs are really strong.

http://draftcartsfordogs.com/Services.html

Adios Pantalones said:
Hmmm- I don't see any that are shih tzu sized. I'd end up pulling them IN the cart anyway.

Get small cart, put shih tzu in it. Trailer it behind tricycle. :cheese: That would be cool.

Adios Pantalones said:
The "experts" claim that a 2 syllable name is best- less likely to confuse it with a common word. Max and Bear are 2 of the most common dog names this year- I'd avoid them for that alone (I'm a bahstid like that).

Well, my dad was no expert, but he told me that as well, way back when I was a kid. Also, names with the long "E" sound in them seem to get a better response when you call them.

Starting from my childhood, all two-syllable names with the long E sound in them:

Gypsy - our family beagle

Lady - the sweet black lab on the horse farm I worked on when we got married

Sheeba - the insane black lab/dobie mix Lady BK got for me at the shelter.

Ollie - my great male golden who got hit when he was 8 years old.

Keisha - the dog love of my life for 14 years until she had to be put down. Best little setter in the world, that one.

My brother has a golden that was diagnosed today with cancer and it looks like he'll be putting her down. He's a damn wreck. When his daughter was a baby- if she cried this dog would go sit near her and whine and cry all upset for her. Serious sweetheart. Anyway- you can tell a lot about someone by how they treat their dogs. Rambling here- sorry to hijack

Adios Pantalones said:
My brother has a golden that was diagnosed today with cancer and it looks like he'll be putting her down. He's a damn wreck. When his daughter was a baby- if she cried this dog would go sit near her and whine and cry all upset for her. Serious sweetheart. Anyway- you can tell a lot about someone by how they treat their dogs. Rambling here- sorry to hijack

Well, I'll continue the thread jack just to say that I think one of the hardest things to face is making a decision to put your dog down. My daughter just had to put her sweet girl down a week ago. Sudden kidney failure, with no hope of survival. When I got the news while I was making dinner, I shut off the gas range and laid down in bed and cried. And I ain't embarrassed to admit it.

I had a very strong bond with that dog (Evie... another two-syllable, long E name) and we have watched her on dozens of occasions. Never a burden, even though she talked all the time in a weird, whimpering voice. She was a shelter dog (part pit and part, we think, coursing breed), and had signs of serious abuse before they took her in. They gave her all the love she could handle, and she turned out to be a wonderful family pet, with an ever-vigilant eye on the grandkids. Funny how abused kids can grow up worshipping their crappy parents, but dogs just know if you're got a good heart. Treat 'em right and they will have your back in a tough situation, treat 'em bad and they'll never forgive you.

I hate my dogs.

It used to be just me and the wife. Life was perfect, because I was the baby. Then came the child and I was demoted to #2, then came the fur baby, and then the next fur baby. Lately I find myself curled on the corner of the mattress, barely a sliver of blanket and banished to the cold corner of loneliness. I'm no longer lusted after for my body warmth as my significant other cuddles up with the trotting water bottles. I'm depressed because I'm trapped in 4th place and I've got to wait for the 2 dogs to die, the kid to grow up and move out, move back in and then move out again before I get my spot back.

I want to be the baby!

Can that dog pull a plow?!

tfdchief said:
I don't know which is more cute, your little girl or the pup. Congrats! Dogs are truly mans best friend.

I should have been more specific, only the first photo is actually mine. I added the other two to show the grown up Leonberger. Sorry

Great posts!
Not hijacking, go ahead and post whatever you like.

Backwoods, don't know about a plow but one article i read a guy has his Leonberger pull him around the lake in a small boat.
They are strong swimmers and are often trained for water rescue.

Gasifier said:
I'll tell you what Gasifier, we weren't looking or even thinking about a dog when a friend showed up at the front door with a puppy. (sammi) True story, i would not let him in. I said "no thanks, come back later, without an animal" and started to close the door. Well i finally let him in and what i though would happen did. The wife and kid fell in love with this furry little thing as it fell asleep in my lap and BAMM we were puppy owners. His wife would save them all if she could and this pup was the last of the litter and she had a plan, well it worked. Sent a collar and a bag of puppy chow.

Is sammi the Leo? Are you saying you saved this dog? As in adopted him for free!? No. You mean they suckered you into buying him by bringing him to you and exposing the utter cuteness factor and got you to pay a pretty penny for him right? Tell it like it is man. :lol:

Honestly, best dog and companion anyone could ask for. And good for my kids. Every kid needs a dog, come on man! LMAO!
SHUT UP BFUNK! :lol: My grandmother always said, "Every boy needs a dog." Well, I would agree, and adjust it to, "Every kid needs a dog."
Would make a cool christmas present wouldn't it? My kids would probably cry with happiness! Then my wife would....... :shut:

No Sammi is the BC. Brought to our doorstep one night.
The Leo was a pretty penny, but just the start of it. I have a budget now for dog food.

Get those kids of yours a pup for Christmas! LMAO

Attachments

• 20634_102232976472258_100000566696753_58985_5978451_n.jpg
    20634_102232976472258_100000566696753_58985_5978451_n.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 275
:lol: Damn cute picture. Don't forget about the seperate budget for the veterinarian. His kids have to go to college to you know. :lol: And there will be times when you feel like you are paying their way! I hope not or your sake, but sometimes that's what it feels like if your dog has bad luck.

Gasifier said:
:lol: Damn cute picture. Don't forget about the seperate budget for the veterinarian. His kids have to go to college to you know. :lol: And there will be times when you feel like you are paying their way! I hope not or your sake, but sometimes that's what it feels like if your dog has bad luck.

I'm so glad I got Murphy as a puppy. Major depression going on, having put the old dog down @ 13, in September 3 years ago, and looking at Erins old gelding coming to his time soon, I got Murphy in October, at 8 weeks. Glorious and smelled for many years puppy breathe. It was love at first sight :)

Helped me going through the gelding going down in December. Sucked.

10_06_2.jpg

Every once in a while, after rescue dogs, passed around dogs, strays (cat included, here !!! ;-) ), you just need a baby.

Gasifier, get thee a doggie. Life's to easy to be this complicated !!!

animal0019.gif

If only technology allowed us to have the dog trained through the internet. I could buy dog, you could train it, which would have to include cleaning up after it. And you could have all the discussions with my wife every time she was not happy with cute little puppy. (baby) :lol:

Gasifier said:
If only technology allowed us to have the dog trained through the internet. I could buy dog, you could train it, which would have to include cleaning up after it. And you could have all the discussions with my wife every time she was not happy with cute little puppy. (baby) :lol:
I understand, just bustin' your chops.

That little guy is gorgeous Eileen!

bfunk13 said:
Gasifier said:
I understand, just bustin' your chops.
:lol: bfunk. I forgot to identify who I was talking to. That was meant for Dix! :lol: Don't worry about me, you aren't going to hurt my feelings that easy! :lol:

Dix, when you figure out how you can do that for my pup let me know! :lol:

P.S. I just started calling her Dix a while ago. I like that name. From Doing the Dixie Eyed Hustle. :lol:

Truth is if everyone in the house is not ready or up to having a dog, i would not get one either. You are doing the right thing.
Nothing like "its your dog" you feed it, clean it, vet it, etc. Maybe the wife will come around someday. Or you could just have that buddy bring one over!

bfunk13 said:
That little guy is gorgeous Eileen!

TY so much !! Never had a terrier before, totally different kind of dog :)

Big dog pic :)

Murphles1.jpg

Gas, most call me Dix (from my avatar), and some many other names, I am sure. It's cool :)

bfunk13 said:
Truth is if everyone in the house is not ready or up to having a dog, i would not get one either. You are doing the right thing.
Nothing like "its your dog" you feed it, clean it, vet it, etc. Maybe the wife will come around someday. Or you could just have that buddy bring one over!

She'll come around someday. I just said to her last night that this summer, when her summer vacation starts, would be a good time. Then I for some reason said, either that or a nice used UTV or ATV. I guess for some reason I thought the UTV would be a big help, and with all the kids we have keeping us busy at this time.... I could certainly haul a lot of wood out of the woods with it. I have access to a lot of wood that I can not get to with my truck. (Narrow trails and ruff terrain. And when the wife or kids need me and I turn the key on the UTV to the off position.........

Just something else for me to consider.

Minutes ago i was telling my wife "puppies are a pain in the ass!"
And they are, this Leo is much different that the BC as a pup. He thinks deer S*** is Alpo.

Murphy thinks the same thing. No kisses if eating deer dung, lol !!

I would name him Cletus, Jethro, or Lurch.

Gasifier said:

I have the pet insurance through VPI. It costs about $400 a year for the middle priced package. It covers most of the $250 that her annual checkup costs. So you are paying about $150 for "in case sh!t happens" insurance. Surgeries and hospitalizations are covered about 50-60%. Money well spent with a labrador retriever, that is constantly getting into stuff. Had some big medical bills with our golden retriever that preceded her.

Status
Not open for further replies.