Lifetime nozzles (false floor) for Vigas 80

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

700renegade

Nov 20, 2008
NE Wisconsin
Since I was doing my mid-season ash cleanout and had to do a minor repair, I figured I'd snap some pictures showing what I did to the bottom of my Vigas 80LC before I started using it a couple years ago.

After reading all the posts about nozzle erosion and all the problems with replacing them, I figured for about $30 I can prevent ever having to replace mine. I lined the bottom with standard 1" thick firebrick before it's first burn, cutting slots in a couple bricks with my Partner saw to match up with the nozzle openings. After a couple years use, there is absolutely NO wear on the factory nozzles.

The brick in the front is prone to cracking - this is the 2nd time I've had to cut a new one and install it. I tend not to poke around too much in my nozzles. One needs to be careful not to get ahold of the brick edge and pull it up accidentally ( they are snug enough that you have to tug pretty good to move them.

Here are pics of the bottom with the front brick removed, closeup of the rear brick after 2 years use, and the new cut front in place. I'm experimenting this time with a wider cut on the front nozzle brick. For some reason my front nozzle doesn't gasify as well as the rear and I'm seeing if this will help.

I also included a picture of my fire starter. I use a "magna torch" and ease out the factory bend in the tube ( compare to an un-altered one leaning against the door in the photo ). It's just the right length to reach the rear nozzle ( or front ). The flame gets sucked up the nozzle and I have the start of a fire in about 90 seconds each nozzle.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
That's the way to do it,right from the start. I waited until mine was well worn but the overlay still worked good.
This season I decided to replace the whole nozzle because the bottom was widening out also.
I cast a new nozzle in place and it really went easy,but the sharp edges on the nozzle opening are wearing fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.