Lifetime supply of kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
The owner of the nursery where my wife and I buy most of our lawn and garden stuff from, and I get my free pallets from gave me a bunch of Cedar kindling. He bought a pallet of it a few years ago to sell, but it didn't sell so well. He put the pallet out back and forgot about it. He offered it to me a while ago. He and I both finally had the time to dig it out with the forklift yesterday. It was packed in plastic bags about 15 pounds each.
0608101931.jpg

Being a 24/7 seven burner I don't need much kindling, so I gave about 1/3 of it to my neighbor and stacked the rest out back. This stack is about 5' long 4' high and 2' deep. It should last me years. It may even rot before I use it all.
0609101031.jpg

I was thinking about repackaging and selling it, but I don't think I would make much money after I spent all the time packaging it. How much is a 5 gallon bucket of Cedar kindling worth?

Great camp firewood.

you could build a bunch of miniature gnome homes, adorable.

LOL! I hope to have a stack like that of split scrounged pine. We burn on the weekends and ski as well. So I start a fire from scratch on Friday night...then get it going another 4+ times from coals. I :heart: kindling.

I got you beat. Last summer, I saved the cedar shingles from the roof tear-off. 36 year old shingles. I have an 8x8x6'tall shed filled full of the stuff. When you run out, let me know. ;-)

Why did you take it out of the bags?

I've spent many many hours as a kid splitting cedar shingles into kindling. We always had a hatchet and a coffee can for nails. Lots of hours doing that.

The bags were all falling apart, I'm guessing from exposure to the UV rays of the sun. The bags were also holding a ton of moisture with bugs and even a slug or two. I good argument for NOT covering your wood pile. These had been outside for a few years. The pallet fell apart and most of the bags broke when we picked it with the forklift. It is in sticks about 1"x1"x12". About 1/2 of them were loose by the time it was loaded. What a PIA to stack these little things!

Flatbedford said:
It may even rot before I use it all.
No such luck. Looks like cedar heartwood to me, just about the most rot resistant wood there is. Those pallets will be long gone and that cedar will still be standing. You're stuck with it for a very long time, so better start burning it. ;-)

I burned some tonight. It is cold and rainy so we fired up the Fireview to get the dampness and chill out of the house. While cedar may be resistant to rot, something has been eating it. Some of the pieces have holes bored through them and some of the bags were full of what looked like sawdust.

Flatbedford said:
I burned some tonight. It is cold and rainy so we fired up the Fireview to get the dampness and chill out of the house. While cedar may be resistant to rot, something has been eating it. Some of the pieces have holes bored through them and some of the bags were full of what looked like sawdust.

Spray it. May have just been the warmest spot they could find over the winter. (in the bags)

I don't think resistance to rot covers legs and mandibles.
:)

and there's resistant and highly resistant, my own experince with cedar is highly resistant does not apply.

I would be cutting those in half and using them to hold back boards and plastic edging between the lawn and my gardens. They don't last forever, but they're a bit easier on the mower deck than metal spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.