Lifting a VC Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emory

May 30, 2007
Milton, NH
Recently got a VC Defiant to replace my junked VC Vigilant. I only have to get it down about 4-5 stairs to get into the basement with it. Wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to do this without anyone getting hurt? Sheer numbers or is there some sort of lifting aid that can be purchased?

My guess is that you picked this up used?? If you had it delivered the guys should have had a powered hand truck that can go up and down stairs like no-ones business.

A couple of suggestions:

One, remove the door if possible before moving it to protect the glass. This is usually easily done.

Two, if your stairs are a straight shot you should be able to strap it (with ratchet straps) to a hand truck, which gives you something to hold onto while you lower it down step by step. (Still, with someone below helping.)

Three, when I last moved a Lopi medium stove into my basement I used a plank the approximate lenght of the stairs and was able to "slide" the stove down it on its side or back (with the help of two other people). Once you get sliding on the plank it is just guiding the stove along. In this case I had all bricks removed also which really helped lighten it up.

MarkG

Planks and perhaps some heavy sheet metal - you didn't mention what model, but if the legs remove (regular defiant), that can be a good idea. Very little lifting is usually needed - maybe set the thing on a piece of heavy plywood and then use a dolly or large wood dowels to move across the flats.

Not that I am strong, but I could do a job like that by myself just using ramps, boards, etc.

The problem with hand trucks is that the stove is then way off the ground........the lower that you can keep it, the less danger.
If anyone is below the stove (not always a good idea), they must have an escape route - otherwise use a rope or two and lower it from the top. If you do it right using boards, you'll have to push it down.......not hold it back (usually)

Not sure if the replacement is a new one or not, but if it is (just guessing at how VC may ship new stoves) it is probably secured to some type of pallet. Keep it that way if it is like that now. Take off some of the weight that you can do easily (doors, griddle) and secure it even more with a blanket over it and some ratchet straps. Put some planks over the stairs, and slide it down slow with a few people if you can, and/or tie the pallet off somewhere so you can keep it from sliding too fast. Once on level ground - use some pipe, dowels or anything round (1 1/2" pvc pipe will work fine, and its cheap) to put under the pallet and roll it across the floor to get it into position.

If its a used one - I would be careful about taking the legs off to avoid damaging the ash pan if you are trying to go the "hand truck" route.

plank the stairs or 3/" 'plywood I always set used encores on piano dollies so I can roll it with the legs in place

the key here is controlling the decent ,if on a dolly I use a decent rope to lower it down the stairs byt the rope is attached toa tree or tow hitch to my truck
always use gloves and wrap the rope around twice maybe 3 times to create a control friction that will allow the ability to stop decent and not let it get away

another way would be alot enough rope to the truck trailer hitch and tie it to the hitch using the truck back up slowly allowing the weight of the stove to roll down the planks
Two people and needed the truck driver and a a spotter to monitor the stove decent I would never put a person below 400 lbs sliding down that stairs, till it has made the decent.
too many things could go wrong.

We usually do it the old fashioned way, two or more guys and carry it.

Ever tried to get a 600lb Quad 7100 up or down stairs? Now that is fun.

Yeap I just bought some of those. They work pretty good. Helps to keep the load low and lets you control it with your arm. A 400 lb stove still feels like 400lbs though. Anything heavier than 400 is going to be pretty hard to lift. They are rated for 600lbs but that would be pretty hard for two people I think. They are not miracle workers but they do help.

I'll second the sliding idea. Its heavy enough that it becomes very easy to get seriously hurt or killed (worst case) if anything goes wrong if it is lifted. Its also too heavy to keep holding up if one gets in a bind. I have handled objects this way all the way up to 6000lb, but of course one reaches limits on the loads that can be carried even on concrete floors.

Myself and 1 helper once removed an entire engine dynamometer instalation from a GM facility that others wouldn't touch because there was no forklift access. The side where the actual engine went was accessible, but not the side behind the firewall. They had somehow managed to brick it in during a "spirited" expansion project in the late 70's... We conjured up some steel skids of 1/4" steel plate with 4 eyebolts welded to them so that one could winch on it from any angle and literally dragged the several ton motor/alternator across the room, up some stairs (lined with planks) across a steel bridge and onto an asphalted access roadway where the scrap dealer picked it up. The whole job took less than a day. Of course after that we had to install the new unit that was pretty expensive and had to do a similar but more gentle reversal of the whole process. The new electrical panel was about 1/6th of the volume of the old one, which we had to strip in situ, cut up and take out piece by piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.