Lifting the fireplace into the hearth????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clark_bailey

Dec 20, 2007
Alabama
Ok, how the heck am I supposed to get the 525 lb fireplace into the house #1 and #2 how do I get it up on the 14 inch high hearth? Any suggestions on getting it across the tile flooring without busting it all to pieces? Maybe plywood laid on top of the tile? Main ? is how to get it up 2 steps into the front door and then up into the hearth? Also one other question for the experts here? How do you connect the mantle to a sheetrock wall that is to have the stacked rock as facia applied?

You'll need to find a few burly friends.

My new stove is around 450 lbs, I think, and there's no way I'd try and do it by myself. Even with two people it's pretty iffy.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
You'll need to find a few burly friends.

My new stove is around 450 lbs, I think, and there's no way I'd try and do it by myself. Even with two people it's pretty iffy.

-SF

What? This 60 year old old fart hauled a 455 lb. 30 up the steps, into the house and installed it on a raised hearth by himself last year. Just to have to take it back out and do it all over again with the replacement stove. Of course I will probably have to have both knees replaced now.

Before you ask. 5 foot 8. 165 pounds.

But you are right. Get help. I was out of my mind to do them by myself.

Well I have a fork lift so getting to the front door was easy. I then sat it on a hand truck in the horizontak mode with a crib of 4x6s to get the feet higher then the 15" hearth and rolled it over. put a couple of strips of plywood down on the hearth and slid it off the cribbing onto the plywood and walked it into place, once there I tilted the stove to one side and removed the plywood, ditto dor the other side. I still had 2 people helping me.

This seems like a good time for a short rant.

Why is the world do the stove dealers NOT have stair climbing handtrucks or forklifts?

http://www.escalerausa.com/

I saw one in action a few years ago. The guy made it look as easy as eating pancakes.

Back on subject though: Maybe you can rent one from an appliance dealer or rental company.

Have fun with that one, Clark! Actually, if you take the door off and all the firebrick out, it's a bit lighter. I moved both our old Englander 12-FP and our new 30-NC both myself. Cardboard makes it slide over flooring more easily. My pick-up tailgate was right at porch level, so I was able to skip the stairs, and I don't have as high of a hearth as you do. I would suggest a few friends and some beer!

Smart as an ox and twice as strong! (my wife says twice as stubborn)

Easy... about 2 cases of beer, 4 friends, a chiropractor, a come-along, 4 6' 2x10s and 4 pieces of 1" pipe and a piece of plywood.

No problem, no sweat! :p

Well, I took everyones advise and added to it a bit. Borrowed a forklift to get it on the front porch. Removed the grates and firebricks. Got three burly friends to assist me with carrying into the house. Slid into the hole in the wall perfectly. Then we all drank some beer and marveled at our feat. Now to the chimney install...........

Status
Not open for further replies.