Lifting tongs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hedge wood

Feeling the Heat
Mar 1, 2009
Eastern NE
I just add a boom to my wood splitter. Anyone have any pictures of homemade lifting tongs they made for their boom? I don't want to spend 500 or 600 hundred for a large set of lifting tongs.

geezzzzzzzz no wonder there used to be a village blacksmith

How about some pics of the boom you added? I have a horizontal only, and this idea intrigues me.

Thanks,

Mike

I think the village blacksmith would still charge $25 for the tongs...the rest of the price is for the village lawyer, in case there's an accident with the tongs and someone sues them.

Anything rated for overhead lifting will carry a premium price. Are you lifting logs overhead, or just up to the splitter? Maybe skidding tongs would be OK for your application?

Flatbedford said:
Anything rated for overhead lifting will carry a premium price. Are you lifting logs overhead, or just up to the splitter? Maybe skidding tongs would be OK for your application?

Skidding tongs are diffrent than lifting tongs. You would not want to use skidding to lift things off the ground near you.

earthharvester said:
Flatbedford said:

Skidding tongs are diffrent than lifting tongs. You would not want to use skidding to lift things off the ground near you.

Even a single round only lifted high enough to get it on a splitter?

Flatbedford said:
earthharvester said:
Flatbedford said:

Even a single round only lifted high enough to get it on a splitter?

I don't think i would want a 200lb piece slipping out bouncing off the splitter and landing on someones leg.

My dad has an overhead crane in his shop. 4 years ago I got him a set of skidding tongs for $39 from northern tool. He's been lifting rounds 3-4' long and up to 18" diameter into his boiler on a daily basis ever since. No problems. The steel on those things is 3/4 of an inch think. I really don't think he'll break them in his lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.