Lighting pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I am out of gel and sanitizer, what else can I use to light these pellets.
And my blow torch won't friging lite.
[emoji20]

I use a propane torch.

Rub 2 pellets together. :p

Propane torch. May take a few minutes but will work..

vaseline soaked cotton balls work well. have used a bit of cooking oil on some newspaper also. trick is to not use to many pellets.

WD-40 sprayed on some pellets and wrapped in some newspaper with a squirt on the paper gets things warmed up pretty good. Most households have far more flammable things than one thinks. Liquer cabinet with anything over 140 proof? After shave, oh yea, feel the burn. Old candles melted into some pine shavings.

in a pinch ive used rubbing alcohol. I have an auto igniter but it takes so long i usually put a handful of pellets in the burn pot, hold the mapp gas torch on them, count to 10 and lit.

Charcoal lighter fluid squirted on a handful of pellets.

I have also made my own starters out of egg carton cups filled with sawdust and paraffin wax.

I've tried a method using kerosene - similar to charcoal lighter fluid. I've soaked the pellets for 15 minutes in it, then strained them out and put them in the fire pot. Starts up and they'll burn fine. It's faster than starter gel or hand sanitizer.

I've tried a method using kerosene - similar to charcoal lighter fluid. I've soaked the pellets for 15 minutes in it, then strained them out and put them in the fire pot. Starts up and they'll burn fine. It's faster than starter gel or hand sanitizer.
No need to soak them at all. I used the method for when I was servicing corn stoves. Just enough fuel to wet the pellets. A tablespoon is about enough to treat a cup. I carried them ready to go and could get the stove up and ready to fine tune in very short order BUT the use of flammable liquids in a warm or hot stove is a big hazard. Fuel oil, kerosene, lamp oil(citronella torch fuel is my favorite) are about the same thing

Reactions: jp99
Status
Not open for further replies.