lightning & chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n1st

Jun 3, 2007
Enfield, CT
Should stainless steel chimney be grounded? Our chimney runs up the side of our house. If ligtning were to strike, it may come in the house through the stove, etc.

I sleep very well without a grounded SS chimney. I also have never heard of any problems with such, so sleep well tonight.

A couple years ago someone posted a picture of their lightning damaged chimney and it wasn't even a steel chimney. If you have tall trees nearby you probably don't have to worry, if not I'd ground it.

Thats an interesting possibility. I think I would install a lightning rod on the chimney with a cable running into the ground.

Elvis Pres.LEE said:
If grounded may become easy/fast way to ground. If area prone to lightning strike, maybe ground other taller object to attract ZAP.I dunno, me not electrical. Me thinx.

If you change your avatar, some of us are not going to know which one of you is you ;-)

Hello N1ST, your antenna should be higher then the chimmey.
73..de..Don

All I can tell ya is that nobody has ever posted here that their SS pipe got hit. Every year somebody posts worried about it, but no reports of wood stoves turning into glowing electric heaters yet.

Not saying it can't happen...

Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I won't worry about it - at least until the next close strike.

Prior to installing our SS chimney, we were getting "struck" several times a year.
Afterwards, not at all........

Status
Not open for further replies.