Lightning Struck Post Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
We had a large Post Oak tree get struck by lightning and it killed about half the tree. I would like to take this tree down and split it up. The lightning looks like it went down the side of the tree and not the center or in a cork screw manner. I have always heard that cutting up a tree struck by lightning is very difficult and splitting it even more so. Is this true? Is it worth my time to cut it up? After curing, does it burn any differently than normal felled oak? It has about 1-1 1/2 cords of wood in it.

Id cut it up, a half dead tree is an eyesore, Im sure you can work your way through it.

I felled & split a lightning-struck cherry a couple years ago. Didn't seem any more difficult that its non-lightning-struck partner a few feet away.

Yeah, meant to say I cut up an apple tree that got struck by lightning and it was no problem.

Last summer I dropped a large pine in my yard that was killed head to toe with a big ol lightning strike. And I mean dead. That sucker was ready to burn before I even dropped it. Not a bit of sap left in the tree. I didn't notice any difference in the way it split up.

My grandpa had a crazy old neighbor who swore up and down that "a tree stuck by lightning would burn...but wouldn't put off any heat". I heard him say it on more than one occasion. I hope I never get that crazy.

The only thing that may be a concern is if the rapid heating/cooling caused the wood to split. This could make it come apart when you drop the tree, so keep that in the back of your mind...

We had a large Post Oak tree get struck by lightning and it killed about half the

Took this picture several years ago of a small alpine fir at the top of a ridge that was hit by lightning.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: Jags
Hobbyheater - I have trees all over my yard that have scars on them, just like that. Two are fairly fresh from lightning strikes last year. One of the strikes blew a section of tree out of the Northern side that looked like a 20ft long 2x4.

Hobbyheater - I have trees all over my yard that have scars on them, just like that. Two are fairly fresh from lightning strikes last year. One of the strikes blew a section of tree out of the Northern side that looked like a 20ft long 2x4.

This is a special place to hike and camp, the ridge is about a mile long and on average 300' feet wide on top .We always check the weather ,if there were going to be any thunderstorms we do not go , just about every tree at one time or another had been stuck by lighting .This spot is pristine not many folks know about it .

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: Jags
We had a large Post Oak tree get struck by lightning and it killed about half the tree. I would like to take this tree down and split it up. The lightning looks like it went down the side of the tree and not the center or in a cork screw manner. I have always heard that cutting up a tree struck by lightning is very difficult and splitting it even more so. Is this true? Is it worth my time to cut it up? After curing, does it burn any differently than normal felled oak? It has about 1-1 1/2 cords of wood in it.

You have to be extremely careful as electricity could be stored in the tree. It will be a shocker..... :p

No, you won't notice any difference in the burning. You might notice it cuts a bit harder when it is dry but that is about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.