Lignetics - 3 Grades of Pellets ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capernaum

Sep 7, 2008
Philadelphia, PA.
I am contemplating buying Lignetics Pres-to-Log wood pellets from LOWES. Is the Pres-to-Log a lower grade pellet?
I discovered Lignetics has three different packagings. Whats the difference?

1. Pres-to-Logs
2. Green label bag
3. Orange label bag

2 Green labeled bag is what I use, IMO I think they are the best pellets you can get.

mullet said:
2 Green labeled bag is what I use, IMO I think they are the best pellets you can get.

I like that answer since I have four tons of Lignetics green labels sitting in the basement.

Are they the green bags?

Groundhog said:
Are they the green bags?

Sorry, Dumb question, obviously they are the Pres-to-Log bags. Let us know how they burn.

Capernaum said:
I am contemplating buying Lignetics Pres-to-Log wood pellets from LOWES. Is the Pres-to-Log a lower grade pellet?
I discovered Lignetics has three different packagings. Whats the difference?

1. Pres-to-Logs
2. Green label bag
3. Orange label bag

The bags with the green "Lignetics" lettering are hardwood, and orange lettering is softwood. I have 1 ton of each, and am looking forward to burning them to see what (if any) difference there is.

Don't know anything about the Pres-to-Log.

mullet said:

That is a lot to say don't you think?
I have burned them in the past...but wouldn't say they are the best pellet out there.
They are better than Ultra or Energex but Cubex seems superior in my humble opinion.

SparkyDog said:
mullet said:

That is a lot to say don't you think?
I have burned them in the past...but wouldn't say they are the best pellet out there.
They are better than Ultra or Energex but Cubex seems superior in my humble opinion.

IMO = in my opinion.

I have used Lignetics and they are the best...but I am having trouble getting them this year...does anyone know about Instant Heat Premium Grade Wood Fuel Pellets ? My dealer wants to substitute these for the lignetics...thanks for your help, Tin Whistle

the green label pellets are hardwood from the glenville west virginia plant , the orange lettered bags are conifer pellets from post falls idaho. the presto logs im not sure where they are made or the medium used as i have not come by them.

the green lignetics are the pellets ive burned the most and i have had excellent performance from them. here recently i was suprised (being in Va) to find our local tractor supply had a shipment of the conifer lignetics from idaho , so i bought them and to be honest i like them just as much as the green bag ones. happy with the heat output , and the ash though a bit more is there is more powdery and clinker formation is less apparant. both are good stuff and i'd recommend either with no worry. great pellets!

tinwhistle said:
I have used Lignetics and they are the best...but I am having trouble getting them this year...does anyone know about Instant Heat Premium Grade Wood Fuel Pellets ? My dealer wants to substitute these for the lignetics...thanks for your help, Tin Whistle

Instant Heat are a decent pellet and I would burn them again. More ash than the Barefoot's I burn, but not as bad as many other brands I've tried. The company that makes them is in New York, and does sell directly to the public.

I ran about 20 bags of the Lignetics green label hardwood through my stove, and I LOVE them. I'm burning NEWP right now, and while they are a good pellet too, I still think the Lignetics are the best so far. I have about 30 bags of the green label left, and also a ton of the orange label softwood.....looking forward to burning them when the weather really gets cold.

BTW, the local HD gets different brands in all the time, and I've sampled Freedom Fuel pellets (a 5 on a 1 to 10 scale), and just picked up 3 bags of Fireside Ultra's tonight to try.....much more fines than the Lignetics or NEWP, though.

Just trying to get a good handle on what i like the best, so when I start my spring pellet search, I know what I want....so far, I only want Lignetics or NEWP.

I'm still kicking myself in the a** for not buying more of the Lignetics green label...local True Value Hardware had 22 tons in August for $239/ton. Being a real newbie then, I was afraid of committing to just one brand.

Oh well, live and learn. :smirk:

I got 4 bags of Presto Logs from Kmart to try and they were no where near as good as the Propellets I've been burning. I would buy them again unless that is all I could get.

Only the orange label available here.
TSC has them, but they are damp. $6.00/bag.

I buy them when there is no alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.