Lignetics Blue Label Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coloradan

Dec 9, 2009
South Central PA
So, I just picked up a ton of Lignetics blue label pellets today, after a pleasant experience with a ton of the Lignetics green label ones. First thing I noticed when I opened up the bag was the pellets were not nearly as big as the green label ones, and they were considerably darker, too. They had a slightly different odor to them as well. So, I fired up the old stove and within a couple of hours, I have already accumalated 2 clinkers! (Hate to see how many I'm gonna have by morning!) I never even had one clinker with my ton of green label, so this is new to me with a Lignetics product. They don't seem to be producing as much heat either. Also, the flame is much darker and the window is almost sooted over already.

I'm thinking that Lignetics is having some serious quality control issues going on here. I'm certainly no expert, but these new blue label Lignetics suck (atleast compared to the green label ones). I'm taking back the ton i got tomorrow, and getting some Barefoot or Okanagans.

Does anyone have any experiences with these new blue labeled Lignetics?

(By the way, I posted some pictures below of the new bag, a comparison of the green and blue pellets side-by-side, and the 2 clinkers I got within the first 2 hours).

Dan

Attachments

• bag.jpg
    bag.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,504
  • both.jpg
    both.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,439
  • clinkers.jpg
    clinkers.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,467
Quick update - just stirred the burn pot real quick and found 5 small clinkers. They seem to be smothering the rest of the pellets. WTF!

nectardan said:
Quick update - just stirred the burn pot real quick and found 5 small clinkers. They seem to be smothering the rest of the pellets. WTF!

Which is why we always tell people to buy a FEW bags to test burn first. BTW Dan, what does the info label say on it?

My stove just loved those deep dark blends, that's called bark heaven, you can gen up some huge clunkers (giant economy sized clinkers) with them. I used to sell the clunkers to the local scrap yard, they paid big bucks for them, thought they were buying pig iron.

macman said:
BTW Dan, what does the info label say on it?

It's the same info as on the green label (believe it or not).

SmokeyTheBear said:
My stove just loved those deep dark blends, that's called bark heaven, you can gen up some huge clunkers (giant economy sized clinkers) with them. I used to sell the clunkers to the local scrap yard, they paid big bucks for them, thought they were buying pig iron.

:lol: ..... cc

macman said:
CanadaClinker said:
:lol: ..... cc

CC, have you had any "issues" with the Ligs you have?

Hey Mac.... I bought 2 tons last Feb. and another 3 this fall (green letters) ..... I was burning Valley Forest last spring before I got the Ligs and they (valley) were night and day (mostly night)......those ligs were very clean and hot...... as I said I got 3 more tons this fall but stacked them on top of the older 2 tons and am trying to mix one bag of Valley (to use them up) with 9 of ligs (mixed in the chest) ..... I know there is a bit more ash but can 't blame it totally on the ligs cause the Valley was 'ash city'....anyway, have about 14 more bags of valley before I'm done them....... that's why I didn't chime in earlier cause at this point, with my mix, I really can't tell. ..... cc :roll:

Hey Macman, First I like to say you did a fantastic job on your pellets tests, thanks.

One thing I'm a little confused on, and I'm posting it here instead of the pellet test thread because it is specific to Lignetics, is that you have listed the Lignetics as a blended pellet. The Lignetics I have were produced in West Virgina and is listed as 100% hardwood.

Maybe Lignetics should be broken out into subgroups based on where they are produced?

I exchanged my ton of Lignetics blue label pellets today for a ton of green label pellets (non-conifer hardwood blend). Talking to the manager at the pellet place, he said that he called Lignetics and was informed that the blue label bags come from a new plant in Virginia. Not sure if anyone was aware of this or not? So, the blues are from Virginia, the greens are from West Virginia, and the oranges are from Idaho. I took a scan of the bottom of the bag and posted it below (in case anyone was curious)...

Attachments

• bag2.jpg
    bag2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,137
The ones I tested are Green Label and it states on the bag "Hardwood and Conifer" sawdust.

So I listed it as a blend.

Attachments

• 10 Ligs label.jpg
    10 Ligs label.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,152
cold front said:
Hey Macman, First I like to say you did a fantastic job on your pellets tests, thanks.

One thing I'm a little confused on, and I'm posting it here instead of the pellet test thread because it is specific to Lignetics, is that you have listed the Lignetics as a blended pellet. The Lignetics I have were produced in West Virgina and is listed as 100% hardwood.

Maybe Lignetics should be broken out into subgroups based on where they are produced?

Link to test you are refering to please.

Thanks

jtakeman said:
The ones I tested are Green Label and it states on the bag "Hardwood and Conifer" sawdust.

My mistake the thanks I gave up above was meant for you.

The Green label Ligs I have are from WV and says under premium quality "made form the finest hardwood dust".

cold front said:
jtakeman said:

My mistake the thanks I gave up above was meant for you.

The Green label Ligs I have are from WV and says under premium quality "made for the finest hardwood dust".

Lignetic's is throwing curveballs now. 2 different green labels a blue label and pres-to-logs. Luckily the greens I burned were good IMO. But the pres-to-logs were like the blue label the OP is referring to. Yet macman tried them and his were more like the green label. Not sure I trust them right now. Never know what your getting in the bags. I'll pass on them this year!

All I am saying is if I buy OKies, I know I am getting Spruce Pine Fir. If I buy Turmans. I know I am getting 100% OAK. I won't have to ask to open the ton to make sure it says what I want. Or pay the price and have to exchange later. Not worth the bother. I will stick to a consistent product.

Just my 2
jay

I forgot to mention that I found 2 fairly big sections of a ripped-up black plastic bag inside one of the blue label pellets. Good thing I found them when I was stirring the hopper. :gulp:

I wish that they had Okies around where I live - I'm aching to try them out.

nectardan said:
.....I wish that they had Okies around where I live - I'm aching to try them out.

Dan, why don't you shoot BTU a PM and tell him where you live. Maybe he can tell you if anyplace near there has them.

macman said:
Dan, why don't you shoot BTU a PM and tell him where you live. Maybe he can tell you if anyplace near there has them.

I've already messaged him and he said the closest they are to me is 150 miles away, somewhere south of Baltimore. Hopefully someone in South Central PA will start carrying them, because I'd love to try them out!

Man don't get me started on Lignetics. I've always bought green label (WV) bags with no problems. I bought 2 tons this fall and they have been total junk. Stove is dirty, barely holds a flame, gets clinkers all the time, and even shuts down. Don't know if Lignetics will try to fix the problem or not. They will not return my e-mails so I guess I will have to call. Tried a bag of Lowe's brand and the stove burned much better. Don't ask me what the hell I'm going to do with over a ton left. Damn oil has been burning alot lately because the stove isn't doing the job.

Lowe's has their own brand out now called "Clean Energy". White bag with blue print. Seemed okay.

That looks like the brand of lignetics that I am burning .They are the best pellets that I have found so far .Hardly any ash ,and way more heat than Winnipeg forest products .

Flem said:
Man don't get me started on Lignetics. I've always bought green label (WV) bags with no problems. I bought 2 tons this fall and they have been total junk. Stove is dirty, barely holds a flame, gets clinkers all the time, and even shuts down. Don't know if Lignetics will try to fix the problem or not. They will not return my e-mails so I guess I will have to call. Tried a bag of Lowe's brand and the stove burned much better. Don't ask me what the hell I'm going to do with over a ton left. Damn oil has been burning alot lately because the stove isn't doing the job.
I have the green bag ligges from WV and i can say enough about them, they are a great pellet burn nice and hot and no more ash than any other pellets. Maybe you just got a bad ton.??? My stove has been running for 13 days now without any cleaning and it hasn't missed a beat and the glass is still somewhat clear (white film).

woodsman23 said:
Flem said:
I have the green bag ligges from WV and i can say enough about them, they are a great pellet burn nice and hot and no more ash than any other pellets. Maybe you just got a bad ton.??? My stove has been running for 13 days now without any cleaning and it hasn't missed a beat and the glass is still somewhat clear (white film).

woodsman23, Its more like you got a good ton. I will bet its the green label hardwood only too!

Look around and compare. See if you can find the green label hardwood-Conifer(blend) mix. You will change your mind a little. Much more ash than the hardwood only green label. I would say about double.

If I find any hardwood only green label I will do the comparison and post results. But it doesn't look like they have any around me. There are certainly alot of the green label blend in CT. I stopped at 2 pellet house's and 1 hardware store and Agway. All are the green label blend. Priced from $249 to $275/ton.

jtakeman said:
woodsman23 said:
Flem said:

woodsman23, Its more like you got a good ton. I will bet its the green label hardwood only too!

Look around and compare. See if you can find the green label hardwood-Conifer(blend) mix. You will change your mind a little. Much more ash than the hardwood only green label. I would say about double.

If I find any hardwood only green label I will do the comparison and post results. But it doesn't look like they have any around me. There are certainly alot of the green label blend in CT. I stopped at 2 pellet house's and 1 hardware store and Agway. All are the green label blend. Priced from $249 to $275/ton.

I will see if i can find some and compare. I'll let you know..

Excell said:
That looks like the brand of lignetics that I am burning .They are the best pellets that I have found so far .Hardly any ash ,and way more heat than Winnipeg forest products .

.....hey Excell .... I like my ligs too... they are now selling WPG F P pellets here too instead of ligs... are they any good?? .... cc

Status
Not open for further replies.