Lignetics vs Bear Mountain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eandbnorton

Dec 2, 2009
Idaho
I'm burning Lignetics (west coast) right now and the local farm supply store has them on sale same price as the Bear Mountain pellets. Never burned Bear Mountains before. Any opinions on which I should get?

I have read/heard the same as what BTU said....the Bear Mtn. pellets are supposed to be excellent! Wish we could get some here on the right coast to try.

Bear Mountain is a 95% fir pellet with about 5% red cedar... excellent pellet. I tried them a few years ago with excellent results... less ash than the hardwoods I was burning then and still cleaner than the pine/spruce blend I use now... but they are a little pricier than I can afford right now.

I've burned both. I like both. I don't think that if my stove was working well with one that I would switch to the other. Sometimes a switch in pellet affects the stove efficiency and burn characteristics. Bear Mountains are not available here, but if available I would buy them, same with Lignetics, except I am burning a local pellet I am very happy with that was $80/ton cheaper when I bought them last Summer.

My advise stay with what works.

macman said:
I have read/heard the same as what BTU said....the Bear Mtn. pellets are supposed to be excellent! Wish we could get some here on the right coast to try.

Ditto' I would love to try them. Someday maybe? :long:

I burned 10 bags last year in my XXV and couldn't believe how clean they were. We can buy them here in WI from the pellet head but, they were over 320.00 per skid last I checked. This year I am burning Eureka again and they seem to have changed since last year. They are darker in color and have more ash and even some clinkers. I need another 1/2 ton yet this winter and it will be Bear Mountain.................... I have no experience with Lignetics, I don't think they even sell them around here.

Thanks for all the info. I think we'll just go with the Bear Mountain this time. Fairly happy with the Lignetics we're currently burning, but I feel like these might be better...we'll see. Can get either of them for $249/ton so I think we'll switch this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.