lignetics vs fireside ultras

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
you guys are gonna think i'm nuts but i picked up a bag of the firesides the other day just to see how they were. ran a bag of them then a bag of lignetics cleaning the stove in between. the firesides burned cleaner, less ash, cleaner glass by a long shot, they did however throw a little less heat but not by much...and the firesides lasted 24 hrs, ligs went 17......question is now do i want a cleaner stove with a little less heat and pellets that last longer or a dirty stove and more heat, but go through more pellets?.....gotta stick with the ligs for now seeing i got 4 tons. but thought i would send along what i noticed.

hemi, did you get the fireside at the waterbury HD?

i'll get a bag just to try.

HEMI_1500 said:
...... then a bag of lignetics cleaning the stove in between.......
Were they the hardwood or softwood Lignetics?

geek said:
hemi, did you get the fireside at the waterbury HD?

i'll get a bag just to try.
got them at the home depot across from the truck stop, was in the wtby HD today and got a bag of pres-to-logs...see how they burn tonight

there's only one HD in waterbury that I know of.

I picked up a bag of the Fireside Ultra today and will try to burn as soon as I can. This waterbury HD also has the pres-to-logs and the Nature's Heat from Pennington, I picked the Fireside Ultra among them.

Let's see.

BTW - this fireside I got is not green letter bag as you mentioned, this one has a black background in the front and the design is kind of multi-color with yellow and light red. The bag says made in Quebec, Canada (The Premier Pellet Company)

geek said:
BTW - this fireside I got is not green letter bag as you mentioned, this one has a black background in the front and the design is kind of multi-color with yellow and light red. The bag says made in Quebec, Canada (The Premier Pellet Company)
He was talking about lignetics.

geek said:
correct same bag i had....green letter was for the lignetics...had the stove on 3-3 for about an hour then dropped it to 2-2 with settings at 4-7-1.

ok, got it.

I just picked a bag of fireside ultra at the local waterbury home depot, very small size pellet indeed, will try burning this bag tonight and see what happens.
Paid $4.98 for the bag, the ton doesn't have any discount any longer, so it is around $249.

I tried a bag of ligentics last last year with the green label which were hardwoods and found them to throw great heat but very dirty.

Last year my 1st ton of Lignetics were fantastic bought them in Sept. Bought my 2nd ton in feb and they were awfull. I burned 2 tons of fireside ultas also. A little less heat and the ash has a pumice texture to them.Overall for the price of 249 for fireside and 305 a ton for lignetics I will stick with the fireside. I also bought a ton of stovechow this year I am hoping they are as good as the fireside.

Last year my 1st ton of Lignetics were fantastic bought them in Sept. Bought my 2nd ton in feb and they were awfull. I burned 2 tons of fireside ultas also. A little less heat and the ash has a pumice texture to them.Overall for the price of 249 for fireside and 305 a ton for lignetics I will stick with the fireside. I also bought a ton of stovechow this year I am hoping they are as good as the fireside.I also bought 2 tons from pellet sales .com cleanfire hope those are as well as the reports I have read.

investor7952 said:
....I also bought 2 tons from pellet sales .com cleanfire hope those are as well as the reports I have read.

I have 4 tons of the CleanFire Hardwood. Supposed to be exact same as NEWP hardwood (bagged at NY NEWP plant).

Here's three of them outside, and the 1 I put in the basement:

Attachments

• Shed w. pellets.jpg
    Shed w. pellets.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 447
  • cleanfirepellets.jpg
    cleanfirepellets.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 450
well I hope we will both be very happy this winter. I will tell you this the folks at pellet sales are great. My order went smoothly I also got an email to make sure I was happy. I aslo got a 10 dollar discount per ton for being a member here !

hemi, I have a full bag of the fireside ultra in the hopper, bought in hd and ready to start the stove at any moment to see how they burn in my englander.

These fireside ultra are VERY small, very little pieces, and there's more fines in the bag compared to my Greene Team Gold Premium, actually my greene team has virtually no fines in the bag, very clean.

geek said:
hemi, I have a full bag of the fireside ultra in the hopper, bought in hd and ready to start the stove at any moment to see how they burn in my englander.

These fireside ultra are VERY small, very little pieces, and there's more fines in the bag compared to my Greene Team Gold Premium, actually my greene team has virtually no fines in the bag, very clean.

geek, when i went to burn time the other day i asked him if he had green team....he tells me he never heard of them, found that odd seeing how much stock and diff. brand pellets he has.....i'll goto naugy tomorrow to get a bag...i know where ed's is.

hemi,

I never heard of green team gold till geek showed me a link.

It's not a pellet you see every day.

But they do burn pretty good!

jay

macman said:
investor7952 said:
....I also bought 2 tons from pellet sales .com cleanfire hope those are as well as the reports I have read.

I have 4 tons of the CleanFire Hardwood. Supposed to be exact same as NEWP hardwood (bagged at NY NEWP plant).

Here's three of them outside, and the 1 I put in the basement:

How do you like that Generac ? I just purchased a 8KW . The gas co just finished running the line and the electrician will be in Tuesday to wire it. I couldnt pass up the deal . $1920 delivered. Are you happy with it? How much LP do you use per hr?

Thanks

hemi, Ed's in haugatuck only has the lignetics, not the Greene Gold Premium, to get this one you need to go to Wallingford (about 13 miles from me) and try to get a couple bags from the dealer, his website is this:

http://www.primopellets.com/

I can tell you that I DO like this brand VERY much, its ash is very brown in color and very good heat output, I recommend it, at least my englander likes it a lot.

As far as the Fireside Ultra, tried a bag:
-little dirty black baffle
-burns fine and better than the Warm Front from NEWP (the warm front bunches a lot in the firepot and I get lots of pellets un-burned)
-very tiny pellet cut in little pieces, so be ware of feed rate
-fines, more than my liking but kind of acceptable
-flame looks fine to me
-glass soot is as usual, not very dirty, been running the stove in low and glass doesn't look bad at all
-heat seems to be fine, can't measure temp.

Fireside is a cheap option right now and could be burned, not the best pellet but not the worst out there either, burns good to me. HD has it for $247/ton but I could apply a 10% coupon i have.

geek said:
hemi, Ed's in haugatuck only has the lignetics, not the Greene Gold Premium, to get this one you need to go to Wallingford (about 13 miles from me) and try to get a couple bags from the dealer, his website is this:

http://www.primopellets.com/

I can tell you that I DO like this brand VERY much, its ash is very brown in color and very good heat output, I recommend it, at least my englander likes it a lot.

As far as the Fireside Ultra, tried a bag:
-little dirty black baffle
-burns fine and better than the Warm Front from NEWP (the warm front bunches a lot in the firepot and I get lots of pellets un-burned)
-very tiny pellet cut in little pieces, so be ware of feed rate
-fines, more than my liking but kind of acceptable
-flame looks fine to me
-glass soot is as usual, not very dirty, been running the stove in low and glass doesn't look bad at all
-heat seems to be fine, can't measure temp.

Fireside is a cheap option right now and could be burned, not the best pellet but not the worst out there either, burns good to me. HD has it for $247/ton but I could apply a 10% coupon i have.
I talked to primopellet friday as was shocked that the delivery is so cheap..$25 first ton, and $10 for everyone after...kinda hard not to go with these people if they got what your lookin for...right now im burning a bag of cubex....seems good but this stove is so out of whack they all seem to be burnin the same.....crappy!....thx for the info geek

did they confirm that charge to your destination, the website says "delivery starting at $25.00", if you're in waterbury should be just around that price or maybe a little higher...

geek said:
did they confirm that charge to your destination, the website says "delivery starting at $25.00", if you're in waterbury should be just around that price or maybe a little higher...

yeah confirmed, I'm right on the line with wolcott and thats the price he gave me......i did mention to him i goto burn time so maybe that helped

ok, i think his name isjohn who delivered the pellets himself, good guy.

if i were you and you're really looking into getting pellets, i'd go to their warehouse and buy a couple bags of what they have, then make a decision, they're located close to that Honda dealer about half mile maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.