Like a visit to the dentist…

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger

Feeling the Heat
Feb 3, 2014
Seabrook, MD (DC suburbs)
… all clean now but, somehow, one would rather not have gone in the first place.

I finally got the first deep cleaning on the Accentra insert yesterday evening, after, hmm, 1-1/4 tons, done by the installing dealer’s team. The whole time I was hovering over them, watching and asking questions, so that the next time I can do it myself. Apparently the front end, which I had been cleaning weekly was in great shape. The insides and back end, which I hadn’t, was pretty decent but I’d say they pulled out a full three cups or so worth of additional dust, plus some more out of the flue liner.

This looks to be in three parts (a), pulling parts out of the stove, etc., which I think I can readily do, (b) actual cleaning, no problem there, and (c) putting it all back together, which worries me. Sliding the Accentra back into place on its mounting track, and the tight fit inside the fire area like the door over the fan, look a wee bit daunting but I have not tried this hands-on yet, maybe it will go smoothly but I saw some fiddling to get everything to pop into place. Plus there are wires to disconnect and reconnect.

When I next do this, maybe October, most of my tools should suffice but I need the vent brush and about 16’ of extension rod, and a few small detail brushes, automotive-style. That’s not much.

Well, I thought it was running great before but subjectively, it seems to be running better still now. Very even flame and despite outside temps in the mid-teens and plummeting, I had to cut back the settings twice.

Turns out they still had some pellets left so I asked the crew to bring some (dealer has 15-bag limit). So I got some more Hamers even thought I thought $8/bag a bit more than I hoped for. Good news is that gives me, eh, 62 bags and enough to make it to spring.

Ah Spring, 28 days officially away hopefully. We may have one of the even colder days of the season on Sunday of -6 for a high

62 bags till Spring.....based on the way this winter has been here, I'll probably need 3 more tons easily.

You mention waiting until Oct to do the next deep cleaning. You may consider doing it at end of season, as ash and soot sitting in stove can degrade metal a bit, particularly if moisture (humidity) is present. Why not practice come, say, April - while that knowledge is still fresh in your head?

If you bought good stove , you wouldnt need a crew coming in , no , the stoves to complicated ...

Status
Not open for further replies.