1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Like to share this years experience. Long winded..

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by Zakkxx, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Zakkxx

Zakkxx New Member

Loc:
    Bethlehem, CT
    Some of you may remember my post last year about my pellet burning experience with different brands. It's been a tough year for many of us, so I figured I'd post up some new info. Hopefully it helps someone in their purchases next year.

To briefly recap, I went through about 5 1/2 ton last year and burnt like 40 gallons of oil. A big savings for me. Country Boy being the best pellet, EasyBlaze being a great middle of the road, and MWP blend by far the worst. I burned a few others that did ok.

This year I started with 4 ton of EasyBlaze, and 1 ton of Lacrete. Think I paid about 250 for EB and 275 for Lacrete. As expected, the EBs are great. Very little fines in bag, and burned very well. Ash buildup on par with last year. No clinkers, and no scraping. After about 2 ton, I cleaned the stove completely and went to Lacrete.

The first thing I noticed upon opening the bag was that there were more fines and dust compared to the EBs. Not excessive, but still more. That being said, they burned great. I'd say just as good or better than the Country Boys. Very little, white ash and very nice heat. Burned through the whole ton and was very impressed. Of course, we all know what happens next. The bottom drops out of the thermometer.

Down to the last ton of EBs, I decide it might be time to try and score some more pellets. Just in case. I went to BT, and all they had left were Cubex. They only wanted to sell me 10 bags, but somehow I convinced them to give me a ton. Paid 299, but from what I heard, they were "supposed" to be a great pellet. I was anxious to try them.

One again, a complete cleaning of the stove. Open the first bag to find zero fines, and zero dust. A good sign. Well..through @ 20 bags, I'm not impressed. Just as much ash as the EBs, if not more with quite a bit of buildup in the pot. No scraping necessary, but just that black, furry stuff. I've tried to adjust the feed rod to no avail. Not only that, but I've had to put the stove on high a few times to get temps to 68 or so. I know it's been cold lately, but I can count on one hand how many times my stove has been on high in the last two years. Not at all impressed with this pellet.

So either EBs are just an awesome pellet for the money, or I got a bad batch of Cubex. Either way, its looking like 6 ton this year. Not good.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Harmanizer

Harmanizer Member

Loc:
    South East Taxachusetts
    I burned Cubex last year and I was not impressed with them either. Some people with a lot more experience than me rave about them but I would not buy them again.
  3. Pellet-King

Pellet-King Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Pellet's that were great one year sometimes are not the next, Hamer's, Cubex, Oakies, and many other's have had great runs, but sometimes they are using different sawdust and there not as good, on the other hand some bad brands become really good.