Likely cause of my chimney leak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigsby

Burning Hunk
Dec 7, 2014
Southern Wisconsin
I heard a hiss when I walked past the stove a while ago and discovered water trailing down the stove pipe from the ceiling support. I went up to the attic and found water oozing from the seam where the second 3' section of chimney pipe meets the third. I looked for water above this area and found everything to be dry. Right now we're in the middle of a heavy, windy downpour but I've never had any issues since the chimney was install two years ago. Any ideas on what is likely the problem? Thanks for any help.

There have been posts about the rain entering the chimney in the seams. When it's dry out, I'd run a bead of silicone along the seam of the chimney that is exposed to the rain outside. I could be anywhere when the rain is coming down sideways.

There have been posts about the rain entering the chimney in the seams. When it's dry out, I'd run a bead of silicone along the seam of the chimney that is exposed to the rain outside. I could be anywhere when the rain is coming down sideways.
Ok, always thought the chimney connections were water tight but that's an easy enough fix if that's the problem. Going to double check the caulk bead on the storm collar too.

Status
Not open for further replies.