Liking posts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
There seems to be a new restriction on "liking" posts. If you like a post, you must wait at least a minute to like another, just recently. I find I like fewer good posts. Isn't this counterproductive? What's the point of this restriction?

It is to limit the logs for filling up with "likes" The recent activity tab also fills with just likes which is also counter productive. Still trying to find the most appealing trade off.

I hear you. The recent activity log never seemed very useful, partly because of that. The New Posts log seems to be much more useful, in that regard, but then you probably miss Reported posts.

It appears to have been fixed now.

Looks like the recent activity log is plugged up again too. That sure didn't take long.

Knowing you guys have to watch that log for Reported posts, etc., I wonder why "likes" are even logged to that page?

Knowing you guys have to watch that log for Reported posts, etc., I wonder why "likes" are even logged to that page?

It in the system that way....don't think it can be configured out of there without custom work....
Yet another reason....it's not that we don't like "likes", it's just that activity in a place which "curates" information has to be checked and moderated, and realistically....others and the mods (those checking recent activity, etc.) don't really care if someone liked someone.

As our little saying goes "moderation in all things". That includes my likes and loves. I'm sorta monogamous, so make sure I don't cheat too much on the posts I really love.....by liking too many others.
>>

Reactions: Ashful
I reported that it had been fixed. That was yesterday and it worked just fine. Today it is back to the 1 minute wait.

Of course this begs the question: if it is in the system, then why does it sometimes work and sometimes not?

As for the likes, the reason I like them is that it did cut down a lot on the +1, +2, +3 type posts. Why post, +1 when you can just hit the Like button? Which would clog the system the quickest?

How about some "likes " or +1 's in moderation. The system is working, I was just adjusting yesterday , seems with the 1 minute delay it works best. I would go down to 30 seconds but it doesn't allow that. Logically, why would you be "liking" posts faster than that? I think I will leave it at those settings and watch the logs to see if it stems the amount.

Reactions: begreen
Status
Not open for further replies.