limb wood/small rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tiggere said:
don't really know yet...I have yet to open the stove because my son's tv and Wii are right in front of it and we have a project going on for his school in that room thats taking up the majority of the space...I am hoping to get things in shape and get the piano out of that room by Wednesday of next week so we can clear the way to the stove...the chimney sweep/inspector will be here next Friday...I should know more then
Is this chimney person, someone you know? Are you paying for an inspection? I hope you get an honest guy! Its so easy to be taken advantage of from a crooked sweep, be careful and get a blind second opinion if there is a problem.

no don't know them...local fireplace store in the area...they have been here the last 30 years...but the chimney has not been used in at least 10 years so it needs to be looked at...I will definitely get a second opinion if they say something is bad wrong...

Remmy122 said:
Is a "flowering pear" what we call a 'bradford pear"? They're down here ALL the time! If theyre any good for burning Ill be 4-5 years ahead after one good hurricane!

Same tree.

Mine burn great. They seem to burn really hot and long. My stove is kind of finicky for secondary combustion, but I seem to get the best results with the Bradford Pear. It's a really heavy, dense wood. Not good for much else, but the birds like the berries.

They also dull a chain pretty quickly.

pyper said:
Remmy122 said:
Is a "flowering pear" what we call a 'bradford pear"? They're down here ALL the time! If theyre any good for burning Ill be 4-5 years ahead after one good hurricane!

Same tree.

Mine burn great. They seem to burn really hot and long. My stove is kind of finicky for secondary combustion, but I seem to get the best results with the Bradford Pear. It's a really heavy, dense wood. Not good for much else, but the birds like the berries.

They also dull a chain pretty quickly.

Called a Tree service today and he was at house where they were taking some out, he put me on the phone with the property owner. They were removing 50 trees!!!! She was gonna stack the wood for church groups to use when they camp on her property but was worried it would rot before they could get to it so Im meeting her thursday to take as much as I can. If this score doesnt fall through then I should be set for a while! How long should I season? Im hoping next year will be ready to burn!

tiggere - How did the inspection go? Im hoping it went well!!!

Won't know until Friday...I have the roof man coming tomorrow for a new roof quote...thats gonna hurt a bit...
BTW...I did find that there is a CAT retro fit for the 26000/27000/28000 series stoves...

The old timers up country in Maine used everything that came out of the woods. The branches down to an inch or so were cut to length and stacked in a separate area of the wood shed for quick starts in the kitchen wood stove. They really shone as "biscuit wood" though. Any remaining brush was stacked as cover for various animals to inhabit or hide out in. Real ecologists the old timers were.

Will

Willman said:
The old timers up country in Maine used everything that came out of the woods. The branches down to an inch or so were cut to length and stacked in a separate area of the wood shed for quick starts in the kitchen wood stove. They really shone as "biscuit wood" though. Any remaining brush was stacked as cover for various animals to inhabit or hide out in. Real ecologists the old timers were.

Will

That's what I've always done as well.Anything thats not rotten down to about inch or so I bring in from the timber.Hickory or Cherry that small is used occasionally in the smoker.Smaller twigs & brush I pile up for wildlife habitat & cover.If there's a bunch of fallen dead or rotten branches/twigs near where I'm either cutting or just out for a walk I toss them in a pile also.Makes any trails or paths much easier to walk in also.

Status
Not open for further replies.