Limbing saw suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
Alright, happened to be at Ace Hardware today because they were having a 20% off sale, 10% off Stihl accessories, and Stihl equipment excluded from any discount. So, I got to look at the saws.

As some of you know, I have been leaning toward a 192c-e back handle saw as a limbing saw. Got to take a look at it today and not so sure I like the plastic dogs on it. Looked at the 201c-e, but the $650 price tag for a limbing saw is rather steep. The main reason for my fixation on the 192c-e was its weight of 7.4 pounds.

Now, I am once again open to suggestions on a limbing saw that I will use for anything 8" or less for the most part. I'll have a MS261, MS362, and MS660 for the big stuff. What would you guys suggest? I keep looking through the available saws and the 192c-e is just phenomenal weight wise. Just cannot get over the plastic dogs.

Look into getting metal dogs for the 192. You could do that for the old MS170/180.

I think the MS211 has metal spikes on it too. Getting a lot of good buzz on that one as a small limber.

Look into getting metal dogs for the 192. You could do that for the old MS170/180.

I think the MS211 has metal spikes on it too. Getting a lot of good buzz on that one as a small limber.

Yep, the 211 has metal dogs on it and it is probably the next best thing compared to the 192. Problem is, the 211 is actually 2 pounds heavier than the 192. Upside is the 211 has 0.6 bhp more than the 192.

Keep in mind what you are buying the saw for. Lightweight, wood under 6" right? Dunno about you but I don't use the spikes much while limbing.

Reactions: PapaDave
Keep in mind what you are buying the saw for. Lightweight, wood under 6" right? Dunno about you but I don't use the spikes much while limbing.

Yeah, you are right. When I need to start using the spikes for limbing, I need a bigger saw than a 192c-e. Back to wanting the 192c-e now. lol

After years of considering a small saw and then another injury last fall I finally broke down and bought a saw just for limbing. I did not get what I thought I'd get but got the little Stihl 180. Super light and I am simply amazed at the performance of this little thing. I went with it on the advice of a man who works on Stihl saws. I was afraid it would be nothing but a toy. Not so! For $200, I now have a nice little addition.

To top it off, I cut down 3 trees in the last 2 days. Two of these trees I dropped with the 180. The other I used the 290 but then went right to the little saw to buck up the rest of the tree. Size at the butt were 14", 18" and 20". All white ash. Little saw had no problem and my back appreciated it too. Point is, I'm finding that I use the little saw more than the bigger saw.

I made some comment about not being out too much if it doesn't last then the guy told me how long he has had his and how much he has used it. I hope it all works out and so far I'm very satisfied.

So true Dennis
I use my little old craftsman for liming.
It's easier to use a light weight saw for the small stuff & limbing
& have the 359 for cutting.

After years of considering a small saw and then another injury last fall I finally broke down and bought a saw just for limbing. I did not get what I thought I'd get but got the little Stihl 180. Super light and I am simply amazed at the performance of this little thing. I went with it on the advice of a man who works on Stihl saws. I was afraid it would be nothing but a toy. Not so! For $200, I now have a nice little addition.

To top it off, I cut down 3 trees in the last 2 days. Two of these trees I dropped with the 180. The other I used the 290 but then went right to the little saw to buck up the rest of the tree. Size at the butt were 14", 18" and 20". All white ash. Little saw had no problem and my back appreciated it too. Point is, I'm finding that I use the little saw more than the bigger saw.

I made some comment about not being out too much if it doesn't last then the guy told me how long he has had his and how much he has used it. I hope it all works out and so far I'm very satisfied.

Yeah, the MS180 is in the mix too. It is $150 cheaper than the 192, 0.3 bhp more powerful, but 1.4 pounds heavier. Thing is, it has metal spikes. Wish they had a version that did not come with that new chain tightener.

I have no idea why anybody would pick the 171 over the 180c-b since the two are the same price, the 171 weighs a pound more than the 180, and the 170 has 0.3 bhp less than the 180.

I have no idea why anybody would pick the 171 over the 180c-b since the two are the same price, the 171 weighs a pound more than the 180, and the 170 has 0.3 bhp less than the 180.

Because someday soon you're not going to have a choice. MS170 and MS180 are on the endangered species list and since Stihl has killed the MS290 and MS250 recently, I don't expect the smaller saws to last much longer either.

Fabs, next time I'm in the dealer, I'll pull up the 192's IPL and see if I can't get a good part # for metal spikes for the thing.

Because someday soon you're not going to have a choice. MS170 and MS180 are on the endangered species list and since Stihl has killed the MS290 and MS250 recently, I don't expect the smaller saws to last much longer either.

Fabs, next time I'm in the dealer, I'll pull up the 192's IPL and see if I can't get a good part # for metal spikes for the thing.

Master,

If I could install metal spikes on the 192, I would be sold on it again. Still leaning that way, but now I am debating again. I hate debating. lol

Edit to add: I really do appreciate your help with this. The last time I went to Ace Hardware to get a special order Stihl product (i.e., Cant Hook), they had no clue what they were talking about and then it took a month to get it in. Can only imagine how painful it would be if I asked about metal spikes for the 192.

Master,

If I could install metal spikes on the 192, I would be sold on it again. Still leaning that way, but now I am debating again. I hate debating. lol

Edit to add: I really do appreciate your help with this. The last time I went to Ace Hardware to get a special order Stihl product (i.e., Cant Hook), they had no clue what they were talking about and then it took a month to get it in. Can only imagine how painful it would be if I asked about metal spikes for the 192.
Just get a 201 and be done with it. Would have much more snot than a 192 and would be your small tree feller/bucker/limber. ;lol

Just get a 201 and be done with it. Would have much more snot than a 192 and would be your small tree feller/bucker/limber. ;lol

Yeah, was just reading another thread on another board suggesting the 201 over the 192, but that is $300 more. What the heck, $10 a year over 30 years (i.e., the life of the saw).

Yeah, was just reading another thread on another board suggesting the 201 over the 192, but that is $300 more. What the heck, $10 a year over 30 years (i.e., the life of the saw).
Wouldn't think that was a consideration for a guy that cuts with a MS261 and a MS660. ;)

The 192 will serve fine for zipping off limbs but the 201 has the power to run a 16" bar and actually be useful for felling/bucking little trees/limbs. Hence they include the spikes.

MS201 = more ponies than the MS211 but 1.4 lbs lighter. Isn't that what you're after? >>

Wouldn't think that was a consideration for a guy that cuts with a MS261 and a MS660. ;)

The 192 will serve fine for zipping off limbs but the 201 has the power to run a 16" bar and actually be useful for felling/bucking little trees/limbs. Hence they include the spikes.

MS201 = more ponies than the MS211 but 1.4 lbs lighter. Isn't that what you're after? >>

Yeah, trying to get a bunch of new toys this year. Couple guns, welder, and a couple saws, not to mention setting up a significant number of aquariums. Have to draw a line somewhere. Might have to wait until 2014 for the MS362.

Think you just sold me on the 201. Hard to spend more on the 201 than the 261 and almost as much as the 362, but sometimes good things come in small packages. lol

Think you just sold me on the 201. Hard to spend more on the 201 than the 261 and almost as much as the 362, but sometimes good things come in small packages. lol
Let's not forget I used to do this for a living. I was good at it too. >>

Better throw up a nice review on that new MS201. Been looking at that one myself. ==c

I've been thinking about getting a limbing saw for the past few months because wielding an 18lb saw while doing that gets old fast. I picked up a 192tc-e yesterday on my way home from work. I was able to put about an hour worth of time on it today cutting some tree tops and I thought it ran great. Very light weight compared to my 390. Starts easily and runs nice. Feels very well built and don't think the plastic dogs will be an issue. I was debating between the 192 and the 170, but I opted for the 192 because of the lighter weight and shorter length. It's just a great little compact saw. If your on the fence I would definitely go buy one.

I've been thinking about getting a limbing saw for the past few months because wielding an 18lb saw while doing that gets old fast. I picked up a 192tc-e yesterday on my way home from work. I was able to put about an hour worth of time on it today cutting some tree tops and I thought it ran great. Very light weight compared to my 390. Starts easily and runs nice. Feels very well built and don't think the plastic dogs will be an issue. I was debating between the 192 and the 170, but I opted for the 192 because of the lighter weight and shorter length. It's just a great little compact saw. If your on the fence I would definitely go buy one.

Yeah, the 170 is definitely out. I think it is between the 180, 192, 201, and 211 now, but I think it is going to end up being the 201.

Just heard about it on AS. Someone claims his dealer will have one to demo soon... BS? Who knows.

MS192 doesn't have a cat muffler or a stratocharged 2-stroke motor so it's anybody's guess as to when/if it's getting replaced.

Do you do a lot of overhead limbing or climbing? I couldn't imagine using anything smaller than my 346 for limbing. Is the 50cc too much for what you're doing? Just wondering. There are times when I think a small limber or top handle would be cool to have, I just can't justify spending the money. Are you stuck on Stihl only? I understand if you've got a good dealer. I'm all about keeping the local shops in business, but there are other good brands out there. The echo top handles have gotten some good reviews over at AS, but only once they've been modified. They are dogs without a muffler mod from what I've read. Price is good though.

Do you do a lot of overhead limbing or climbing? I couldn't imagine using anything smaller than my 346 for limbing. Is the 50cc too much for what you're doing? Just wondering. There are times when I think a small limber or top handle would be cool to have, I just can't justify spending the money. Are you stuck on Stihl only? I understand if you've got a good dealer. I'm all about keeping the local shops in business, but there are other good brands out there. The echo top handles have gotten some good reviews over at AS, but only once they've been modified. They are dogs without a muffler mod from what I've read. Price is good though.

Fabs isn't looking for a top-handle........ ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.