Limited clearance stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwieder13

Oct 7, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I recently bought a 1958 vintage house which has a wood stove. The house is only about 1,000 square feet and I was hoping to replace this stove with an updated model. I don't know the current model or what it's current clearance requirements are. The only marking I could find was an inspection sticker from 1975. The chimney is single walled 8".

Originally I was going to buy the Englander 13-NC until I saw it's clearance requirements. Due to my limited space (see pics) I think I will need a stove which just requires ember protection on the floor in order to meet the wall clearances. I know I will have to upgrade the chimney to 6" to meet its clearance requirements. After some research on this website I believe I have to go with either the Napoleon 1100 or the Pacific Energy Vista. Both of those seemed bigger than what I need to heat my 1,000sf house so I was wondering if there is something smaller out there with only ember protection or if one of those would actually work.

Attachments

• IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2964.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Stove 1.pdf
    357.8 KB · Views: 144
It's hard to see from the picture. Is that an open, screened fireplace stove? Is the stove pipe single or double wall?

What is the objective? Do you want a 24/7 heater or something more for nights and weekends?

It is an open and screened fireplace. The stove pipe is single wall. The objective is something between a 24/7 heater and nights and weekends. We have central air which is gas so I don't expect the new stove to be running 24/7.

OK, this is like a "name 5 things wrong with this picture" game. You are definitely right, there are a lot of errors here. The single wall pipe is too close to the wall, the fireplace clearance looks much too close, the hearth is not deep enough. Given the obvious shortcuts and outright errors I would have the chimney system closely inspected for other shortcuts and error.

A small stove to consider would be the Englander 17VL. It is shallow and puts out good heat. It's small so I wouldn't expect overnight burn, but it's also very affordable. Another stove to consider would be the True North TN20. This has close clearances with double-wall connector pipe (which is a necessity here) and a 2 cu ft square firebox for overnight burns.

OK, this is like a "name 5 things wrong with this picture" game. You are definitely right, there are a lot of errors here. The single wall pipe is too close to the wall, the fireplace clearance looks much too close, the hearth is not deep enough. Given the obvious shortcuts and outright errors I would have the chimney system closely inspected for other shortcuts and error.

A small stove to consider would be the Englander 17VL. It is shallow and puts out good heat. It's small so I wouldn't expect overnight burn, but it's also very affordable. Another stove to consider would be the True North TN20. This has close clearances with double-wall connector pipe (which is a necessity here) and a 2 cu ft square firebox for overnight burns.

Oh absolutely. When we bought the house I was excited it had a wood stove because I have access to a ton of free firewood. Then when I started doing research and then started to realize the state the current setup was in. To make it worse I had a chimney sweep come out and they said it met clearances during their "inspection".

I think I will need to replace the pipe with 6" at a minimum and possibly even a shield just to meet clearance with the wall. During my research I definitely came across both those stove so will have to look at them again. Now I believe I can fit a stove in this small area I just don't want to get a stove too big it won't be efficient with only heating 1,000sf.

Status
Not open for further replies.