Limited supply of new Garn units

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reseaching Garn units. I had some information sent to me from this warm house and they claim that 419 units are made for 2009. They also claim to sell 4 per week. Does anyone know if this info is valid. Has anyone ever had to wait a significant amount of time to purchase one?

Cap1 - I purchased my WHS2000 through This Warm House last year (follow the link in my sig to my story, if you have not already). Are you saying that GARN will ONLY be supplying that many for 2009? That is possible. I did have to wait from late June until late September to get mine, but that was during a period of very high demand and a transition in manufacturing capacity that should be complete by now. 6-8 weeks lead time was the norm. What did they tell would be your delivery date if you ordered now? 419 units for the year is about 8 produced for each week. That is an amazing rate considering the size and amount of labor is involved in manufacturing one. There was a time when they were only produce a couple units per week.

Order yours now!

Jim K in PA said:
Cap1 - I purchased my WHS2000 through This Warm House last year (follow the link in my sig to my story, if you have not already). Are you saying that GARN will ONLY be supplying that many for 2009? That is possible. I did have to wait from late June until late September to get mine, but that was during a period of very high demand and a transition in manufacturing capacity that should be complete by now. 6-8 weeks lead time was the norm. What did they tell would be your delivery date if you ordered now? 419 units for the year is about 8 produced for each week. That is an amazing rate considering the size and amount of labor is involved in manufacturing one. There was a time when they were only produce a couple units per week.

Order yours now!

I have not ordered it yet because I plan on building in the summer of 2010. But I dont want to be stuck without one. All the info I got came from their literature. It says they are only capable of making 419 units. I am assuming there was a great demand in the past couple of years because of the price of fuel oil so they are for warning people to buy early.

Pay your money, call them every week, cross your fingers and toes and pray they have the courtesy to call you back. (or remember you)
BTW thats what I did and after faxing them a Purchase Order.... after 2 months of trying to buy last fall, I gave up.

My Garn Barn (built to their specs) now has an Outdoor Wood Boiler in it. I am in Canada and ,unfortunately, I required heat before it snowed.

Oh here's a hint for Martin Lunde....... maybe there is an unemployed welder somewhere in the U.S.A. looking for work. (or even 2 if you look hard).
Or if you are cash-strapped, sell your patent....

Bottom line.... great design.....BUT one of the poorest represented businesses I have dealt with in my 20 years in business.

hottubbrad said:
........... maybe there is an unemployed welder somewhere in the U.S.A. looking for work. (or even 2 if you look hard).
Or if you are cash-strapped, sell your patent....

Bottom line.... great design.....BUT one of the poorest represented businesses I have dealt with in my 20 years in business.

I'm assuming there's more than one unemployed welder out there, but it seems we only have mechanical types posting on this web sites. Anyone want to make a boiler???

Bottom line for patents is that they run out............

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4549526.html?query=garn+boiler&stemming=on

The Garn patent is dated October 29, 1985.

Trade names are another story..........

In the U.S., utility patents and plant patents are valid for 20 years after their filing date. (This slightly longer change in duration came about in June 1995. Utility patents filed before that date are valid for 17 years from their issue date.) As for the third type of patent, a design patent, this patent type is valid for 14 years from date of issuance.

After expiration of the term of the patent, the person holding the patent loses the right to exclude others from utilizing the invention, so that anyone can go ahead and make use of the invention without permission of the patent holder.

Hopefully this post got some 'fires' started in a few peoples minds......

hottubbrad said:
In the U.S., utility patents and plant patents are valid for 20 years after their filing date. (This slightly longer change in duration came about in June 1995. Utility patents filed before that date are valid for 17 years from their issue date.) As for the third type of patent, a design patent, this patent type is valid for 14 years from date of issuance.

After expiration of the term of the patent, the person holding the patent loses the right to exclude others from utilizing the invention, so that anyone can go ahead and make use of the invention without permission of the patent holder.

Sooooo... are you saying that I can produce and sell my homemade garn style unit?

I know a local company that already has the equipment and supplies to manufacture these units. They are already making big tanks and supplies for the water and wastewater industry and blacktop and I heard that they are getting certified for pressure vessel welding.

Garnification said:
hottubbrad said:

Sooooo... are you saying that I can produce and sell my homemade garn style unit?

I know a local company that already has the equipment and supplies to manufacture these units. They are already making big tanks and supplies for the water and wastewater industry and blacktop and I heard that they are getting certified for pressure vessel welding.

USEMCO should be able to help you with that.........

hottubbrad said:
Imagine a Garn at $10,000...... wouldn't that sell like hotcakes.....???!!!!!!

Any idea what the 1500 sells for??

I've heard various amounts. From $12,000 to $14,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.