Line Pressure for copper tubing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
Think I had this in the wrong section before.

I am now using a 100 gallon sattelite propane tank for cook stove and water, since I’m heating with pellets. I don't need to fill the 500 gallon primary anymore. I ran the line directly from the tank to the outside house regulator. I am now thinking this was probably a bad idea due to the pressure being put on that 1/2 in copper line coming off the tank. Do I need a regulator before the line also? On my 500 gal tank, which I no longer use, there is like an 1/8th inch line coming off the tank to the regulator then 1/2" going to the house regulator. Will the 1/2" copper hold up to the pressure from the 100 gallon sattelite LP tank? IT has so far and I did this one season a few years ago and all was well but am I sitting on a time bomb?

copper was used as indoor piping for the most part, which is very low pressure measured in inches of water colum not psi...
probably a good idea to use plastic wrapped steel pipe outside(and before regulator)
but im not sure of the specs on copper tubing, i typically remove it and start over with iron piping

we just had our LP line from the tank to the regulator redone and copper tubing was used. my understanding is that the copper tubing being more flexible allows for more free movement of the line during the freeze/thaw cycles better than iron pipe, which eventually rusts in the ground anyway.
we do however have iron pipe running in from the regulator to the appliances.

it shoulkd be fine

On my 100 lb tanks I run tank-regulator-line to appliance-regulator-appliance. This is done on both setups, heater and stove as both are on their own tank.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.