lined chimney, for open fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
hey folks! Wondering what to do here;

old deep fireplace in kitchen (old farm house), some years ago it was lined (SS liner) and there is an old wood stove there, and a flue plate blocking all but the 8" liner connect. A chim sweep was out there a few days ago, said the liner is in good shape, no concerns with that.

I would like to remove the rusty old stove and because the firebox is so deep, use as open fireplace. Do i need to have someone fabricate a 'hood' of some sort? chamber? ... Lookin for some general opinions and practical ideas. (i was not there when chim guy was there, so i couldn't get his thoughts on the matter). Thanks :)

hey folks! Wondering what to do here;

old deep fireplace in kitchen (old farm house), some years ago it was lined (SS liner) and there is an old wood stove there, and a flue plate blocking all but the 8" liner connect. A chim sweep was out there a few days ago, said the liner is in good shape, no concerns with that.

I would like to remove the rusty old stove and because the firebox is so deep, use as open fireplace. Do i need to have someone fabricate a 'hood' of some sort? chamber? ... Lookin for some general opinions and practical ideas. (i was not there when chim guy was there, so i couldn't get his thoughts on the matter). Thanks :)

If the intent is to use the fireplace with the 8" liner, that will not work. The block off plate is not designed for direct flame and the 8" liner can handle the volume of air needed for an open fire to draft well without spilling smoke. You could put in a nice stove, much more forward in this fireplace (for better heat), that would give you the best of both worlds with a nice fire view and good warmth. Or you could see about having the chimney relined.

If the intent is to use the fireplace with the 8" liner, that will not work. The block off plate is not designed for direct flame and the 8" liner can handle the volume of air needed for an open fire to draft well without spilling smoke. You could put in a nice stove, much more forward in this fireplace (for better heat), that would give you the best of both worlds with a nice fire view and good warmth. Or you could see about having the chimney relined.

Ok i see. So just so i am clear - the entire liner would need to come out (top to bottom) before i could consider open fire? in other words - just removing the blockoff plate is not a solution, correct?

It would take an inspection of the original chimney to see if it is safe for burning without the liner. Often they are not and this is why the liner was put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.