liner all the way to wood insert or extra connectors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2010
Southern NH
Hi,

New to the forum. Lots of info, but just didn't see this. (Didn't know what to search for if it already here.) I have a couple of quotes for a fire place wood insert. The one quote that is different talks about using a different connector system between the liner and the insert. All of the other companies seem to just connect the liner to the insert. This company uses 2 others parts:

6" round connector with 7" (all that is on the quote) > $200
small flexboot 7" ovel to (again, all that is on the quote) > $70

They said something about not having to cut or remove any part of the damper. I assume most dampers are less than the 6" liner and instead of ovaling the liner, they put on 2 pieces 6" round to some 7" oval through the damper, then 7" oval to 6" round to the insert. They said this is done so that if the insert is ever removed and the fireplace is to be used, the damper does not need to be fixed/repaired

My question to the gurus here, is this necessary? Is this the best way to do this? Their price for the main liner is also over $700. So, the liner part from the top of chimney to the top of the insert would be over $1000.

Thanks for all of the great help in this forum.

Dean

Welcome!

I think it is more common to cut or remove the damper. If the insert/liner is ever to be removed and the hearth reverts to a fireplace, all that needs to be done is install a top-sealing damper (fairly easy to do, and less than $270).

Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to mention that I measured my damper and it looks to be about 6" and angled toward the back where the chimney comes down from. If the damper is about 6", would it be acceptable to just slide the insert through the damper? Maybe ovaling it just a bit if needed? Or is this not a good solution?

Thanks

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.