liner ? and can you id this lopi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmbehm

Feb 7, 2011
Rocky Mtns
I had an energy audit done and was told that the fp blower i was using would be better replaced with an insert.
I am very new here and me looking at this lopi in a day or so SN# is 20686
http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/2199494347.html
Looks good from the pics.
Being new here do I have to install with a chimney liner? I just had my fireplace cleaned about 1.5 years ago and had several cracked tiles replaced.
I like to use the fp to heat the 2100sq ft house vs paying the high heating bills.
Thanks for all the help and answers

Liner is a needed item in my opinion. Could also be code in your area. Are you aware that denver and surrounding areas have burn ban restrictions intermitently during the winter? An insert or a free standing stove will heat the house better than a fp. As for the Lopi in the ad, not sure of model. If it has baffle boxes with burn tubes running across the top check the back corner of the baffle boxes for cracked welds. have these re-welded if it is cracked. Check the operation of the slides, they will not slide smoothly if warped or damaged. Lopi makes a solid unit, but mis-use can still damage them. Welcome, and stick around for a spell, your bound to learn stuff you never wanted to know, and have fun at the same time.

thanks for the advice. I know about the bans and hate them but when you have 2 jobs and 3 kids to raise you do what you have to. I am also looking at an Avalon Pendleton but I think it might be too small for what I am wanting to do
http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/2180651929.html
What the the down sides to putting in something that is rated for a smaller sq ft?

dmbehm said:
I had an energy audit done and was told that the fp blower i was using would be better replaced with an insert.
I am very new here and me looking at this lopi in a day or so SN# is 20686
http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/2199494347.html
Looks good from the pics.
Being new here do I have to install with a chimney liner? I just had my fireplace cleaned about 1.5 years ago and had several cracked tiles replaced.
I like to use the fp to heat the 2100sq ft house vs paying the high heating bills.
Thanks for all the help and answers

dmbehm:

You can't go wrong installing a new insulated chimney liner. Here's why:

There are several conditions where “the (existing) chimney or flue may not be acceptable for a woodstove, hearthstove, or a fireplace insert including:

1. absence of flue liner
2. condition of liner (cracked, broken)
3. size of flue liner (more than the maximum cross-sectional area in relation to the appliance collar size)
4. failure of chimney to meet clearances

Performance and safety can be improved with a stainless steel or poured liner system by:

1. proper sizing
2. insulation that keeps the flue gases warmer (reduced creosote and maintenance)
3. easier maintenance
4. tested temperature limits.â€

All of the above is quoted directly from Heart Handbook for Building Officials - Solid Fuel Hearth Systems.

To make a long story short, in my case I had to go from a 13 inch X 13 inch terracotta interior (inside the house - not external) flue liner to a 6 inch diameter appliance flue collar. The 13 X 13 inch is a cross sectional area of 127 square inches. This was more than the maximum allowed 84 square inches (6 inches = 28 square inches cross section area X 3 (allowed) = 84 inches squared. So I relined with an insulated 6 inch SS Flex King Pro liner.

The NFPA and IRC states that “the cross-sectional area of the flue of a chimney with no walls exposed to the outside below the roofline shall not be more than 3 times the cross-sectional area of the appliance flue collar.â€

So if your building jurisdiction uses the IRC (at least the 2000 edition of the IRC), then a smaller liner may be required.

Any number of inserts are capable of heating a 2,000 sf house. That said, I would choose the largest one that will fit your existing fireplace. BTY, you might be able to install a hearth stove if you don't mind taking up additional space on the hearth - and perhaps making the hearth larger.

Good luck with your install.

Status
Not open for further replies.