1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Liner and factory fireplace insulation questions... Causes CANCER???

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ekwiatek, Nov 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekwiatek

ekwiatek New Member

Hello,

I have a majestic factory built fireplace. I Bought some homesaver liner/insulation to use with my quadrafire 2700i wood insert.

QUESTIONS:

1. It says on the flex insulation (see below link) that at 1800 degrees the material turns into a cancer casuing substance!!! What is with this?!?!?!

http://www.hartshearth.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_m.asp?idCategory=468

2. After I insert the new wood insert into the facotry built fireplace, I am concerned about cold drafts (when the fire isn't burning) coming from the old factory built fireplace -the new wood insert surround is far from air tight. Should I insulate the walls of the factory built fireplace? How? with what?

Thanks
    Keith

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Keith need some help I hate being the heavy all the time. I am willing to bet he just installed the insert without a permit or inspection? Something sound wrong with this installation? Seagen care to comment? Shaun? Please describe the existing chimney set up and or chace surround it, is installed in. Are you sure you have proper clearance to combustiables behind the pre fab fireplace? If installed in the chase, was the chase insulated and 5/8" fire code sheetrock installed on the walls?
  3. Sundeep Arole

Sundeep Arole New Member

Loc:
    Framingham, MA
    At 1800 degrees, all kinds of stuff will turn into vapor which will be cancer causing. I don't think you will ever reach that temprature, except in a chimney fire, which would be abnormal anyways. There isn't much to worry about, really.

Once you have the liner installed you should seal the top of the flue with something like a top plate. In addition, you should seal off the damper area with non-combustible material. That will keep cold drafts from coming down the flue.

If you have a negative pressure situation in the house, you might get cold drafts through the insert, if it isn't airtight. If you have this situation, then you have more to worry about than the insert installation itself. You should then get a HVAC pro to check into the negative pressure situation and have it corrected first.
  4. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Your mean Frank! :lol:
  5. DavidV

DavidV New Member

Loc:
    Richmond VA
    Mutagens?/ Damn I love those. cooked soem steaks over the grill tonight. I use a gas grill, so I usually toss a few small pieces of foak, mesguite, or apple intothe grill to give me some of that tasty smoke....MUTAGENS! I gotta get me some of that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.