Liner Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
First season running an ovalized insulated armor flex liner from Olympia. I'm itching to get up on the roof to check how it looks.

Checking out the ovalized brush they gave me for cleaning I noticed that it is much smaller than the liner. It covers the liner depth (shortest dimension of the oval) but is short on the width.

I figured they would send me an ovalized brush that is the same size as my liner. I guess I might be able to brush one side and then the other but I feel like this procedure will miss spots. Should I order another one?

Maybe order a larger brush and cut it down to the dimension of my oval?
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally would rotary clean it but if not get a larger brush and trim it to fit.

Reactions: Squisher
Yep, if your wanting to brush the traditional way I would get another brush and do what bholler said. I wouldn't be happy using a brush and it missing those sides like that. That would bother me and my peace of mind.

What is the actual dimensions of the liner?

There are not very many options, when it comes to Oval brushes, brush manufactures make only a few sizes in oval. As mention, using a rotating brush or whip might be a better option, or a large round brush and trim it. Just don't make it to tight or you will likely get it stuck and can't get it back out.

I personally would rotary clean it but if not get a larger brush and trim it to fit.

Why is the rotary better than the larger brush? I have never used rotary and don't know much about it.

I have relatively easy access to the top
of the chimney as long as the roof is dry. My hearth is small so cleaning from the top down is easier than cramming myself into the small space behind the stove.

The oval is 4.5" X 8.75". Do the dimensions change the recommendation of brush versus rotary?
No. dimensions don't change recommendations.

Why is the rotary better than the larger brush? I have never used rotary and don't know much about it.

I have relatively easy access to the top
of the chimney as long as the roof is dry. My hearth is small so cleaning from the top down is easier than cramming myself into the small space behind the stove.
Rotary isn't necessarily better, but most likely easier. There used to be a site that would make custom brushes to order, but I cannot seem to ind it anymore. May have closed, don't know. If you want to brush, you will need to get a brush large enough, and trim as needed to mate to the oval.

Rotary is highly effective and there's no cutting down to hope you get the right size where it cleans effectively but doesn't get jammed up. On a liner or any metal pipe the rotary is my go to, being ovalized makes it seem a no brainer to me.

Not saying you can't cut a brush and fit it properly and clean effectively just rotary is going to be easier and thorough.

Rotary is highly effective and there's no cutting down to hope you get the right size where it cleans effectively but doesn't get jammed up. On a liner or any metal pipe the rotary is my go to, being ovalized makes it seem a no brainer to me.

Not saying you can't cut a brush and fit it properly and clean effectively just rotary is going to be easier and thorough.

What are the rotary brushes made of? Do they put more stress on the liner than a regular brush? I feel like an oval liner would take a beating with the rotary cleaner. You would need a brush with a 4.5" radius to reach the long part of the oval which would be too long for the short part of the oval.

I'm unfamiliar with the sooteaters but the key I think with rotary is to not rush and to be able to inspect your work. I honestly hardly see how the rotary action would be harder on a liner than a brushes action if it's sized tight enough to clean well?

Rotary can be done smoothly or it can be done roughly but from what I've seen/do it doesnt easily mark/dent a liner or pipe or anything. I prefer smooth and taking my time. I clean both directions in a liner, forward and reverse. You won't have to go at a liner hard at all if it's just soot and no bad creosote.

The key is being able to inspect your work. Mirror and flashlight from below or through a breech/opening and just flashlight from above. A focusable beam is a thing of beauty when looking up or down a chimney.

Think of a rotary as like a weedeater line that goes up and down the flue. Shouldn't be any harmful than a standard brush.

I'm unfamiliar with the sooteaters but the key I think with rotary is to not rush and to be able to inspect your work. I honestly hardly see how the rotary action would be harder on a liner than a brushes action if it's sized tight enough to clean well?

Rotary can be done smoothly or it can be done roughly but from what I've seen/do it doesnt easily mark/dent a liner or pipe or anything. I prefer smooth and taking my time. I clean both directions in a liner, forward and reverse. You won't have to go at a liner hard at all if it's just soot and no bad creosote.

I replaced my old flexible liner because the inner liner was peeling apart, specifically down by the Tee. This is where liner was bent and had the most resistance on the brush. I wonder if the resistance of the brush caused liner to pull apart. Also wonder if the rotary tool would have been more gentle in this regard.

i bet it played into it for sure if the liner was bent there and made it tight for the brush. Rotary would've been much easier on it I would think.

I replaced my old flexible liner because the inner liner was peeling apart, specifically down by the Tee. This is where liner was bent and had the most resistance on the brush. I wonder if the resistance of the brush caused liner to pull apart. Also wonder if the rotary tool would have been more gentle in this regard.
Yes it may have made it worse but those liners are just crap.

Ok I think I'm going to try the rotary cleaner. Is this the right one for an Olympia Armor Flex liner?
You can use just about any cleaning product in armor flex without hurting it

Status
Not open for further replies.