Liner Cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardA

Oct 6, 2016
Wake Forest NC
I had a couple guys out to quote me on a complete liner after a bad experience. After being told that the parts are about $770 and that its a 3 to 5 hour job including cleaning, I was given quotes of $2995 and $3200. Now I own my own company, and understand all the cost related to running a business, so I am a bit shocked that I am being quoted labor rates that are more that my Attorney charges.

My install is very simple. 31' masonry chimney with a wood stove in the opening. The installer is quote a 6" insulated, 1 piece liner with a T connection at the stove. He is torching one section of the flu out and taking out maybe two bricks.

Do these prices sound like price gouging, or is this a competitive quote??

I thought liners were only shipped in 25' sections? maybe that's just if you order it online and do it yourself. if that is true though I would think there would be a union of sorts somewhere in there so it wouldn't be all 1 piece. probably not a big deal though. from the reading ive been doing on here that seems steep. I just joined about a month ago. been poking around reading for better part of year to prepare for my install. went in last weekend.

Liner can be much longer. Depending on the supplier, liner comes in 5 ft increments from 5' to 50'. This is Rockford's selection for Rock-Flex 316Ti .006 Stainless Steel Chimney Liners. Heavy Flex may have less options, but usually have at least 25-35'.

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 12.49.12 PM.png

RichardA, did they specify the weight or wall thickness of the liner? Were there problems or a very hard roof to work off of?

I thought liners were only shipped in 25' sections? maybe that's just if you order it online and do it yourself. if that is true though I would think there would be a union of sorts somewhere in there so it wouldn't be all 1 piece. probably not a big deal though. from the reading ive been doing on here that seems steep. I just joined about a month ago. been poking around reading for better part of year to prepare for my install. went in last weekend.
I just had an install done two weeks ago and it was very sloppy and unprofessional. I am on the right track now, but could have saved myself a lot of heartache had I got on here first and started asking questions. Everyone here has been very helpful.

for some reason I swear when I was shopping I read they wouldn't ship more than 25'. sorry for any misinformation. i'll see if I can dig it up tomorrow. maybe it was just one place or something.

Liner can be much longer. Depending on the supplier, liner comes in 5 ft increments from 5' to 50'. This is Rockford's selection for Rock-Flex 316Ti .006 Stainless Steel Chimney Liners. Heavy Flex may have less options, but usually have at least 25-35'.

View attachment 185933

RichardA, did they specify the weight or wall thickness of the liner? Were there problems or a very hard roof to work off of?
No, neither specified the weight or thickness, but I am wondering if Homesaver liners come with these options?

No, neither specified the weight or thickness, but I am wondering if Homesaver liners come with these options?
Northline Express sells Homesaver UltraPro liners in 15-35' lengths.

for some reason I swear when I was shopping I read they wouldn't ship more than 25'. sorry for any misinformation. i'll see if I can dig it up tomorrow. maybe it was just one place or something.
We get 150' rolls of liner in.

I think the price is too much.....like way too much! I realize I do not have all the details but that seems waaaay high. Typically the labor is about equal to the parts price. So if that were the case then approx $1600 for the parts and labor.

Also you have to know what they are installing. It needs to be quality, this is a very serious safety concern. Get another quote. I live in West Central Indiana, if I lived near you I'd come do that job myself. I really don't like people taking advantage of others. Get us up to date on the details as they come in.

I think the price is too much.....like way too much! I realize I do not have all the details but that seems waaaay high. Typically the labor is about equal to the parts price. So if that were the case then approx $1600 for the parts and labor.

Also you have to know what they are installing. It needs to be quality, this is a very serious safety concern. Get another quote. I live in West Central Indiana, if I lived near you I'd come do that job myself. I really don't like people taking advantage of others. Get us up to date on the details as they come in.
I agree it is high but $770 for 30' of insulated liner with all the components sounds really low to me. We would be in the $2200 to $2500 range but we would be using heavy wall.

I knew I saw it somewhere. must be something about shipping ovalized?

upload_2016-10-19_13-30-36.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.