Liner Diameter Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

19glendale

Feb 1, 2015
Northern Virginia
I am in the process of figuring out the logistics of liner install in my masonry fireplace chimney. I have a question about my flue diameter in reference to liner diameter.

The chimney is clay/terra cotta lined.
The house is a 2 story colonial built in the 1940s.
The top of the fireplace to the chimney top is about 23 feet.

I went up on top of the roof today and measured the chimney opening.
It is 6.5" x 10".

I am connecting it to a Century S244 freestanding stove within the masonry fireplace, which has a 6" connection.

I intend to purchase an OLIMPIA CHIMNEY ARMOR FLEX HEAVY KIT (single wall heavy) and add insulation wrap and the wire mesh netting around that, based on recommendations from this forum.

MY QUESTION IS:
Since the chimney/flue minimum opening is 6.5" and I intend to insulate the entire liner, is a 6" liner too large of a diameter for my situation?, should I order 6", 5.5", or 5"?

Any guidance, thoughts, wisdom, etc. would be much appreciated.

THANK YOU

Since the chimney/flue minimum opening is 6.5" and I intend to insulate the entire liner, is a 6" liner too large of a diameter for my situation?, should I order 6", 5.5", or 5"?
Well you can check with the stove manufacturer about wether they will allow you to use a 5.5" on their stove. But honestly what we would do is an ovalized 7" liner with insulation or if the clay liners are already destroyed we would break them out and use an insulated 6". Either of those options will leave your options open later down the road to hook up any insert with a 6" outlet.

Flex liners are about 1/4" larger on the outside, so your 6" liner will be in the 6.25" range and adding 1/2" blanket will add 1" - 1.5", because of the overlap, bringing you up to the 7 3/4" range. Lots can go wrong in 23 feet with with only a little space between liner and flue. bholler is correct, taking out the tiles will give you more room and options on what to do. I've seen Tile Breakers and Rods on Rockford Chimney Supply web site that they Rent at a reasonable price, and they take care of shipping both ways, and Pulling cones, No need to buy these items when you will only use them once.

Reactions: 19glendale
If I were called to do this install I would quote the removal of the existing tiles. Too many times you'll find clearance issues after insulating the liner and trying to make it fit in such a tight spot. Good luck!

If I were called to do this install I would quote the removal of the existing tiles. Too many times you'll find clearance issues after insulating the liner and trying to make it fit in such a tight spot. Good luck!
Agreed that is what we would push for but there are plenty of times people dont want to make the fireplace so it cant be used as a fireplace in the future. But I totally agree my preference would be to break out.

Status
Not open for further replies.