Liner dilemma... How to compare?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebrsmithers

Oct 14, 2007
Northern Alabama
OK, I have decided to DIY the project! I ordered the Hamption HI300 today and expect it in the next 7 days. I figure while I am waiting for delivery I will purchase and install the liner. So after reading for several hours on this forum and surfing the Internet with all the suggestions from those of you already knowledgeable in this area, my eyes are burning and my brain feels like mush! Here are the questions that I am unable to answer:

1. is 316Ti stainless steel .005 in thickness enough or should I shoot for something thicker? If thicker, how much thicker? I don't need it to last forever, just 15 to 20 years otta cover it!

2. Are all rain caps created equal?

3. My chimney is clay tile lined with the clay sticking out of the chimney a few inches. Do I need to purchase the terracotta top plate or would the standard top plate work?

4. Damper block plate kits are available, but they are expensive in my opinion! ($70 to $110) Is it worth the purchase or should I try and make one from scratch?

Nebrsmithers said:
OK, I have decided to DIY the project! I ordered the Hamption HI300 today and expect it in the next 7 days. I figure while I am waiting for delivery I will purchase and install the liner. So after reading for several hours on this forum and surfing the Internet with all the suggestions from those of you already knowledgeable in this area, my eyes are burning and my brain feels like mush! Here are the questions that I am unable to answer:

1. is 316Ti stainless steel .005 in thickness enough or should I shoot for something thicker? If thicker, how much thicker? I don't need it to last forever, just 15 to 20 years otta cover it!

it will get the job done in the time frame I just used 2 Magna flex kits and it is of decent quality for the price

2. Are all rain caps created equal?

well I used what was supplied in the kit seemed to work just fine

3. My chimney is clay tile lined with the clay sticking out of the chimney a few inches. Do I need to purchase the terracotta top plate or would the standard top plate work?

Again it came with the liner kit

4. Damper block plate kits are available, but they are expensive in my opinion! ($70 to $110) Is it worth the purchase or should I try and make one from scratch?

If you have to cut out part of the damper the stock plates will not work so a custom plate will do the trick sheet metal can be purchased at most hardware stores of HD

OK, I ordered the forever flex liner from The chimney source.com. I decide to go this way because of the quality and options available. The kit is a simple 6"x20' 316Ti with .006 Stainless Steel. The option to have the bottom 2 feet of the pipe ovalized before shipment, was the clincher in my purchase. Maybe silly, as I could have probably manipulated the pipe myself, but I wanted easy installation! They switched out the standard quick insert to liner connection for a round to oval connector. switched the standard top plate to the terracotta top plate. (I have a couple of inches of clay tile that stick out of the top of my chimney.) They also threw in some High temp silicone, a pair of gloves and took 10% off my total. All in all I was happy with the purchase and the service provided.
Gary at ChimneySource.com told me to call him if I had any trouble with the install and I get the distinct feeling that he meant it. I paid $465 total for the kit and considering the terracotta top plate is a $70 up-grade, they ovalized the pipe and threw in the extras I think it was a fair deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.