Liner discoloration?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn-1

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2006
Lakes Region, NH
I relined the ~12x18 fireplace flue where I installed my PE Vista with a stainless liner which is insulated from above the damper to just below the top plate. Stove and chimney have appeared to run fine. After cleaning around the fireplace to keep the WAF as high as possible I noticed some tarnishy sort of spots where the stainless adapter comes off the liner and into the stove's flue collar. There are also a few spots above the stove.

The stuff on the adapter seems to smudge off so even though the fit into the flue collar was very tight I wondered if a bit of smoke might have passed through and sealed around that with som furnace cement this morning after the stove had cooled. I haven't run much wood through the stove and have never had the stovetop much hotter than 600. No real smoke smell and I can't see any damage to the liner. Any help or advice is appreciated.

I put a new stainless elbow between my liner and the stove this year and noticed today that it has taken on a golden hue.

BrotherBart said:
I put a new stainless elbow between my liner and the stove this year and noticed today that it has taken on a golden hue.

My harley pipes get a bluing effect ;) And if your see ones that are golden....... its running too lean ;)
I coulda had a V8, bamm bamm

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

My harley pipes get a bluing effect ;) And if your see ones that are golden....... its running too lean ;)
I coulda had a V8, bamm bamm

Dang. I gotta use more gasoline on startup to richen up the mixture. :coolgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.